You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Selecting elements for slicing when in a group

Hi,

I'm not finding a good way to mass select layers for exporting when those layers are part of different groups.  I've imported a PSD layered file and trying to select overlapping elements for export but the selection is not grabbing the right layers.  I watched the videos and "Ctrl+Alt" doesn't seem to do what I need either.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan.

PS. Awesome software - I had no idea how feature-rich the application really was until diving into the videos.  I'm a Sketch, FW, AI and PS user but really like what I'm seeing here from Affinity for web design use.

• Staff

Hi Ryan,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

You can use the Export Persona to create slices from specific elements - check the Layers panel in Export Persona to generate the slices automatically from objects/layers/groups. There's a video tutorial covering this here (the UI has changed but the information still applies): Affinity Designer - Exporting: Layers

Note: You can also create slices manually covering several layers/groups (independent from any layer hierarchy). Please check this video for details on how to do it (again the UI has changed but the information still applies): Affinity Designer - Exporting: Slices

Let me know if you still have trouble.

Hi,

So i've tried this and its not quite working right.  I think the issue is trying to click through the group to get the appropriate layer while still having other layers selected that are outside that group.  If I select a layer then hold shift and click another layer, it deselects my original option.

I'm used to fireworks where you can drag a selection around or touching the elements whether they overlap or not and then being able to add a slice to it.

I see in the video touching elements and have them selected is possible but for some reason it's not working for my situation.

Probably need some help here understanding what i'm doing wrong.

Thanks,
Ryan.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.