You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Transparent/Gradient tool makes visible lines instead of a continuous gradient

Hello everyone,

Lately I started to work with the gradient tool (sometimes transparent tool as well) and I noticed something weird happening.

Simply as the title says, whenever I add a gradient, it forms like a group of lines that look like a low quality gradient instead of a smooth gradient. Any workaround to solve this?

Check this gradient here, you need to magnify the picture to notice the lines:

5kSmgp1.png

My greetings.

I LOVE programming and vector drawing. :)

• Staff

Hi SinovenatoR,

Here's a few things you can do to improve the gradients:

- go to the Affinity Preferences, Performance tab and check Dither gradients

- go to menu File ▸ Document Setup... and change the Colour Format to RGB/16 to increase the number of shades used for each colour channel.

- select the shape and add some Noise (low value) to each colour of the gradient, just enough to help remove the rest of the banding effect.

• Staff

Hi SinovenatoR,

To add noise to a colour (or to colour stops of a gradient) do the following: with the shape selected click on one of the colour stops then go to the Colour panel and drag the Noise slider slightly - just enough - to remove the remaining banding. Do the same for the other colour stops (you probably want to use the same amount for all of them). This should help to fix the most problematic cases (i've exaggerated the effect a lot in my screenshot below just to make it clear).

If instead of Noise you are seeing Opacity on the bottom of the Colour panel, click the small colour well below the word Opacity to change it to Noise.

post-59-0-23789100-1471882432_thumb.jpg