You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi sunshine202,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

You can import an image going to menu File ▸ Open and selecting the image you want to import or simply dragging it to Designer's empty work area.

To export as EPS select File ▸ Export. Can you explain what do you mean with an "odd format image"? Where you expecting vector objects as the output?

Exporting the document as an EPS doesn't convert an image into vectors, it simply embeds the image in the EPS file.

Thank you MEB.

I have some text and imported a globe image into the text to make it a letter, and I superimposed this image with a vector. Only thing is that when I export to EPS, it seems to be fine, but there is a white box surrounding the globe and superimposed globe image.

Can I get rid of this box surrounding the globe and superimposed image, as any background I place this on will look odd with the image having an odd white  background  just behind the globe and not the other letters ?

I can send you the item to explain

• Staff

Hi sunshine202,

If the image you are importing contains a white background you have to remove it before exporting.

You can do this using one of the following methods:

1. simply removing the white from the image. To do this check my reply in this thread.

2a. creating a (raster) mask with the same shape/form as the globe: see this video tutorial about Layer Masks (the video is for Affinity Photo but it's the same process in Designer. Juts make sure you switch to Pixel Persona to access the pixel selection tools).

2b. if the globe has clearly defined boundaries you can create a vector based mask instead. Use the Shape Tools or the Pen Tool to create a closed shape with the same form as your globe then drag the image layer over the shape layer in the Layers panel. I'm attaching a sample file using planet's Earth as an example (which have a white square around) over a black background. I've created a vector ellipse and dragged the planet's image layer over the ellipse's layer in the Layers panel to hide the white part (if you drag the image outside the ellipse in the Layers panel you will see the white that was hidden). sample2.afdesign

• Staff

Here’s some additional Affinity Designer learning resources that you may be interested in:

- In-house video tutorials for Affinity Designer
- The Help file covers extensively all the features of the program, don’t overlook it.
- Affinity Review our ezine, also includes some in-depth written and video tutorials covering specific subjects (the PDF version doesn’t include videos). In the first issue there's an article in the Feature Focus section covering the Pen Tool in depth  (starts on page 39 | iBooks version - includes videos).
- I’ve also compiled a list of other learning resources here, including Books, Training Courses and Third-party tutorials that may help. Check Designer's section in the menu on top.

• Staff

May I ask another question please.

When i have this logo and I create a EPS for a website, this should be really clear and defined and sharp when used on a website?

The EPS format isn't intended to be used on webpages. Besides that, It's an old/limited format that can be replaced by PDF which support much more features.

For websites, the only vector format available is SVG. Vector formats are resolution independent as can be scaled as much as you want without losing quality. So if you are not using any features in the program that forces rasterisation of elements (like Layer Effects for example) you should get a sharp result, except when you are dealing with very small text/details. Those elemets must be aligned to the pixel grid to keep their sharpness at small sizes.