You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can an image be converted to curves?

It's been a while since I've seriously used a product like Affinity Designer. The last one was Corel Draw about 20 years ago. One of the things it could do (if I remember correctly) was to convert an image (JPG etc.) to curves. That allowed someone like myself, with negligible artistic ability, to have a sound base from which to start producing a finished item. AD does have the ability to convert to curves but it does not appear to work on images. Is that something that will be added if it isn't already possible to do so? Or if images can be converted to curves already, how is it done?

• Staff

Hello RaymondPM,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The command you are referring to is to convert a parametric shape (generated by the Star Tool or Cog Tool for example) or text into path geometry. This means you can no longer change the number of points on a star or edit the text after the conversion. This command doesn't work with raster images.

What you are looking for is a Trace Tool which will convert an image into vector geometry you can edit. This is not available yet in Designer but it will be eventually introduced in a future version. It's one of the most requested features.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.