You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I am working on a book that requires the use of mathematical formulas.  I wrote the rough draft in MS Word, which has the ability to create formulas and have the regular text wrap around it.  

But when I imported the word document, those formulas didn't come over at all (just a blank space where the formula would be).

How can I add formulas to the content?

attached is an example from the word document that has text -> formula -> text.

Thank you

Image 5-8-24 at 10.45 AM.jpeg

I created my first book last year in Publisher which had a lot of formulas. I had to literally hand make them. If there is another way I couldn't find it.

If you are on Windows, you could create Word equations and copy paste them as Windows Enhanced Metafiles (using Paste Special). This works pretty well if you do not have lots of equations:

image.png.d19dd43d596be8f3c9840654624bb724.png

image.png.1fd0baa34941cdec5d2d51d9c9476281.png

The Word text itself can be imported as a file (equations will be excluded)

Note however that there are several catches:

1. The equations will be in RGB 0,0,0 (= Grayscale 0) so if you are going to export to CMYK, you need to convert the equations to CMYK (not an awfully big thing because objects within equations can be edited pretty easily).
  2. Some parts of equations might be poorly positioned. These parts, too, can relatively easily edited by selecting them from the Layers panel and setting tracking to 0.
  3. You need to resize the equations and adjust spacing manually.

The good thing of course is that your equations are text and vector objects, so high quality.

Other methods that come to mind are using MathType in context of Word and convert equations to EPS, WMF/EMF or PDF (or raster formats, if you do not mind). This can be done in a batch.

Thanks for that.  Original formulas were created in Word, on a Mac, then imported the .doc file into Affinity (also on a mac).

My workaround has been to screenshot the equation in Word and 'place' it in the affinity text box as a .png.  It seems to work pretty well, actually.  Just tedious.