You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Exported PDF from Publisher shows previously used file name as "Title" – not current file name

I just came across something I cannot quite explain (or change):

I've exported a flyer design from Publisher v2.4 as a PDF for print and when I check its PDF "Info" in my Mac's Preview app (or in other PDF readers) I find that in the PDF’s "Info" an old file name gets displayed as its "Title" – which is the file name the file originally had (from another project) before I redesigned it and then per „Save as…" gave it its current file name.

Is there any place in Publisher where you can actually change the "Title" (as opposed to file name) of a PDF you're going to export? I always thought that title would automatically be taken from the file name of the Publisher file in the Export process.

Most people will possibly not even look at a PDF's "title" via its ”Info" (as its file name primarily tells what it is), but for anyone who does, this is actually a bit irritating. And as for privacy reasons of authors/designers I don't really think it's appropriate or desireable that anybody can uncover/see an old Title from some completely different previous context – whatever that may be...

37 minutes ago, Lorox said:

I find that in the PDF’s "Info" an old file name gets displayed as its "Title" – which is the file name the file originally had (from another project) before I redesigned it and then per „Save as…" gave it its current file name.

Can you reproduce this "Save As…" with a new document in v2 without getting the field updated when saving with another document name?

To me in V1 every "Save As…" with another file name does update this field accordingly + gets used/offered as default name when exporting the document. This behaviour appears to be interrupted only if I have changed the field manually, then the document keeps this manual entry regardless whether I just "Save" or choose "Save As…" even with a new name.

44 minutes ago, Lorox said:

Most people will possibly not even look at a PDF's "title" via its ”Info" (as its file name primarily tells what it is), but for anyone who does, this is actually a bit irritating.

"Title" or "Author" etc. are metadata and an attribute of many file types (not Affinity specific), and a general property of PDF, too. Considering that PDF files may get created + send via data base related tools it can make sense to distinguish the file name from its document's title since the file name in such a process can either become the same name for a range of documents or a rather 'coincidental' series of digits or characters.

But I wonder whether it is possible to deactivate and generally prevent Affinity from filling this fields by default automatically at all. (It seems for "Author" it worked to delete it once in any earlier document to prevent its auto-fill for future documents)

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, thomaso said:

Can you reproduce this "Save As…" with a new document in v2 without getting the field updated when saving with another document name?

I just tried and maybe I have an explanation: If I create a new file of the original via "Save as…“ the Title (or the "Title" field) of the PDF gets updated – just like you wrote.

However, if I copy/duplicate a Publisher file in the Finder and then subsequently change its file name in the Finder, the PDF Title (or the content of the "Title" field) of the original file is actually preserved!

I guess that my "new" file (as mentionend above in my original post) had been created by just duplicating it in the Finder and I then used it for the new project – most likely the Title will eventually update if I "Save as…" this new file under an even newer name..

Edited by Lorox
clarification