You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to remove 'something behind something'

A problem which occurs from time to time is how to remove 'something behind something' reasonably quickly.

The example attached shows a logo partially covered by the model's hair, and it would be good to remove the logo while keeping the hair looking natural (I'm not saying the hair has to be exactly as it is now, just that the result should be believable in combination with the rest of the hair). Another example (not shown) was a birth mark, again partially lying behind a model's hair.

The Inpainting brush tool does a reasonable job, using several applications, of removing the logo on the part not covered by hair, but where the logo sits behind the hair the tool creates all kinds of artefacts. Healing and / or Cloning have their own problems.

Have I missed something?

_1007135c.jpg

What I normally do when faced with a situation like this is: clone/inpaint/heal as per normal, or whatever works best.

Then, I would use a smudge brush to drag the missing hair parts so that they reconnect with each other. You would have to set the smudge brush strength quite high, 75% or more other wise they might not be visible.

There are other ways I'm sure, but this method has always worked for me.

v1.jpg

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

16 minutes ago, AffinityJules said:

What I normally do when faced with a situation like this is: clone/inpaint/heal as per normal, or whatever works best.

Then, I would use a smudge brush to drag the missing hair parts so that they reconnect with each other. You would have to set the smudge brush strength quite high, 75% or more other wise they might not be visible.

There are other ways I'm sure, but this method has always worked for me.

v1.jpg

@AffinityJules Thanks for the reply and for trying. Smudge is not something I've tried - I'll experiment.

Set the brush from 1 or 2 pixels in size - anything bigger than that tends to not look natural.

My quick example I set the brush to 1 pixel.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.