You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Vector brush breaks at the end

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @Corina Nika,

Thanks for your post and our apologies for the delayed response here!

As I understand it, Affinity Designer V2 contains multiple fixes / improvements when using Brush Tools and a pressure based controller with an Apple Pencil - in order to stop this from occurring.

Although some improvements were made to Designer V1, you may find this still happens in certain situations, especially when using smaller line widths.

Have you tried the free trial of Affinity Designer V2 on iPad, to see if the same issue is present on your device with these settings?

@Dan C yeah, this is still an issue in v2 on the iPad. Not as bad as it was in v1, but still requires regular clean-up. I notice it most when I've been using Fresco or Illustrator on the iPad for a bit, then come back to Designer, as it requires me to break my flow to clean things up.

• Staff

In my personal testing, I can see an occasional issue at the start of the stroke, only when using full pen pressure on the screen.

If I use a light or medium amount of pressure at the start, during or near the end of the stroke, I don't see any issue at the end of the stroke -

This is using the Vector Brush Tool at 8pt, with the 'Solid Pen with Pressure' brush, edited to be 100% size variance based on Pressure.

Is this the issue you are referring to in V2? As this is technically a different issue that the one reported above, based on the location of the 'flick' / 'blob' in the stroke.

Hi @Dan C, as I said it's not nearly as bad as v1 but as shown in the screen shot below (the second one is zoomed in on the first path) I still do get some weirdness/extra points/controls at the end of the lines. Even with strokes with no pressure applied often the last node has an awkward control point applied that results in an offset endpoint that doesn't fully match the direction of the line/curve itself. Using a stabilizer can help, but it doesn't get rid of it entirely.

I then need to fix this by either editing the affected nodes directly, or by fiddling with the pressure graph—or more often than not, a mix of both. It's even noticeable with lines/curves that have no pressure or velocity data applied to them.

image.thumb.png.fedb239cf282dd972b8593ac24952e44.png

image.thumb.png.213bc78df2756873fd888d09fe8ab5a8.png

• Staff

Thanks for providing that - I'd like to update the development log for this issue with some further details, as I can see it has been previously marked as 'fixed' by our team, but subsequently reopened with newer reports.

Just to confirm: 

• What iPadOS version is in use?
  • What iPad model are you using?
  • Is this occurring with the V1 or V2 Apple Pencil (or a different input device altogether?)

2 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Thanks for providing that - I'd like to update the development log for this issue with some further details, as I can see it has been previously marked as 'fixed' by our team, but subsequently reopened with newer reports.

Just to confirm: 

• What iPadOS version is in use?
  • What iPad model are you using?
  • Is this occurring with the V1 or V2 Apple Pencil (or a different input device altogether?)

Thanks @Dan C,

Affinity v2 (2.4.1.2344)
iPadOS 17.4.1 (both iPads are up-to-date)
iPad-Pro (11-inch) (2nd generation), iPad-Pro (12.9 inch) (5th generation)
Both iPads are using 2nd generation Apple Pencils (the magnetic one)

Thank you all for getting back to me! I switched to V2 a day after posting this and I don't have this issue - which continues in V1. The brush started acting like this after I got the latest iPad pro and migrated one to the other. 

• Staff
2 hours ago, Bryan Rieger said:

Affinity v2 (2.4.1.2344)
iPadOS 17.4.1 (both iPads are up-to-date)
iPad-Pro (11-inch) (2nd generation), iPad-Pro (12.9 inch) (5th generation)
Both iPads are using 2nd generation Apple Pencils (the magnetic one)

No problem at all, thanks for verifying that for me! I've provided these details to our team, alongside your screenshots to help them continue to improve this in a future update.

2 hours ago, Corina Nika said:

Thank you all for getting back to me! I switched to V2 a day after posting this and I don't have this issue - which continues in V1. The brush started acting like this after I got the latest iPad pro and migrated one to the other. 

You're very welcome, thanks for letting me know! As above I've updated this issue with our team as were always working to refine the tools in Affinity :)