You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo V2 Cintiq display toggle disruption

Hi everyone,

I'm having a bit of a weird issue with Affinity Photo V2. I'm on a 14" M1 Macbook Pro (OS Monteray 12.6.3). Also neither Designer and Publisher have this issue, only Photo.

For some reason when I'm using Affinity Photo 2 with my 2018 Cintiq pro 16 the cursor/pen tip will lag, and the frame/refresh rate for the cursor will drop. If this occurs while drawing it also distorts my lines. The cursor will also start flickering if I try to use my stylus to switch to from my cintiq to my laptop monitor using the cintiq's display toggle function. When this happens I'll press the stylus button to trigger the display toggle, and for a second I'll see the cursor on my laptop, but it will then immediately shift back to my cintiq.

So far the only way that I have found to remedy this is to briefly move the stylus away from the cintiq completely. Once I bring it back to the cintiq the issue is resolved. However this is almost always short lived and only fixes the issue for a minute or two tops. I've done my best to diagnose this issue on my own over the last month or so. I can't find much of a pattern. I did notice that if Photo is the only program I have open it is sometimes less frequent. Also if I am charging my computer while using Photo the issue is a bit worse, especially if I also have other programs open. But I have no idea what the issue is stemming from.

I tried updating the tablet driver at one point but that didn't seem to help.

I'd be grateful for any advice. Thanks!

• Staff

Hi @JPipe,

Quite the strange issue, we don't have a Cintiq Pro 16 but we do have a Cintiq Pro 13 to which I've never experienced an issue like this on Photo Mac when using it. I'd suggest trying the following:

- Disable Metal Compute  and set the 'Display' to 'OpenGL (Basic)' In Photo 2, this can be done via the App Settings > Performance, once the box has been unchecked and the display setting changed, close the dialog and restart when prompted to before trying again

- Try completely removing the Wacom Drivers and then perform a complete re-install of them to refresh your existing drivers.

- See if the issue happens in Designer 2's pixel persona when using raster brushes, as I'd be interested to see if it really is just limited to Photo 2.

If none of the above works, could you see if you can capture the issue occurring on a screen recording? The FAQ below details how to record if you're unsure.

Many thanks

Hi @NathanC

Thank you for the help! I have tried disabling the Metal compute as you suggested. So far things seem to be working better. No cursor lag/flicker so far but I'll keep an eye on it. This has happened before where I'll think it's fixed, but the issue eventually reoccurs. I have some work to do in Designer today so I'll keep Photo on in the background to see if anything changes. I've noticed that sometimes if I have Photo open for a while along with another app like Designer, Publisher, Clip Studio Paint, etc. the cursor issue will come back. 

So far though the cursor is moving smooth as ever, and the display toggle is working fine. Thanks again for your help! Hopefully disabling Metal Compute was the fix.

Also, I've never experienced this issue in Designer's pixel persona.