You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Fixed, sort of] Affinity Designer - Space Bar to use Move Tool randomly brings up Colour Picker, how do I disable that?

I want the Space Bar to invoke the Move Tool and to never invoke the Colour Picker, how to I disable the Colour Picker from appearing when I am using Space Bar to move?  I have tried to search the settings and keybinds but Colour Picker is set to the key "i" for India and I am unable to find other setting related to this.

Problem: I am experiencing an annoying bug or feature (I am not sure which) where when I use the Space Bar to use the Move Tool it sometimes brings up the Colour Picker instead. This is unpredictable, seemingly random, and totally disrupts my workflow, sometimes inadvertently causing me to change colours. As you might imagine, this can cause major problems on a complex design if the mistake is not caught.

EDIT - FIXED: Error was caused by Alt key mousedrag, which is an alternate Colour Picker shortcut that I was accidentally catching on this particular keyboard.

Edited by Graphite Addict
Located issue

@Graphite Addict,

I can not replicate this issue. I'm using a Windows 10 PC, AD 2.4

• What OS are you using?.
  • What Version of AD?
  • Do you have any other tool selected when this happens?
  • Are you wanting the Move (V) arrow tool or the View (H) hand tool?

The Spacebar is the hardwired default for the View/Hand tool.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

59 minutes ago, Ron P. said:

@Graphite Addict,

I can not replicate this issue. I'm using a Windows 10 PC, AD 2.4

• What OS are you using?.
  • What Version of AD?
  • Do you have any other tool selected when this happens?
  • Are you wanting the Move (V) arrow tool or the View (H) hand tool?

The Spacebar is the hardwired default for the View/Hand tool.

Thank you for your reply Ron. I'm on Win 10 PC, AD 2.4 here too. I have just this moment discovered it's me accidentally catching the Alt Key, which samples a colour when dragging the mouse. Something which is easily done by accident on this particular keyboard.

I should like to disable that particular short-cut, if it is possible, but now that I know why it is happening I might be able to avoid it.

Thanks for clarifying.

Pressing the ALT key, I think is another default we can not change, used along with the brush tool, allows sampling colors. I don't think Serif will change this behavior. IIRC, many use this in their workflow.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

@Ron P. I have encountered it several times when using the Space Bar specifically now, I just checked and double checked looking directly at my finger placement on the Space Bar which was dead centre nowhere near the Alt Key. I now really don't know if this is a bug or I need to replace the damn keyboard.

I shall assume it's my Keyboard for now, and if I can test it with a different one I will revisit this post and update it.

As for an option to disable Alt drag to colour pick, that option would not affect default use and it's an option I could use right now as it's wasted an hour of my work time looking for answers, writing this report and fixing colours.