You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AP image started, then text outline brush edited in AD, now text is blurry in Photo during edit work

[using latest Photo + Designer 2.4.0 release]

I use Photo majority of the the time, but due to not being able to change the brush texture on a font-text outline, I send it to AD make it look like I want then return to Photo.

The attached image looks terrible in Photo now, is perfectly fine in Designer.   Finished up my work in Photo, but had to go back to Designer to final check and export due to the glitch.  I have confirmed this behavior on two Windows 11 PCs with completely different video hardware.

I had also tried both of these tricks, but no change was still blurry in AP.

• Affinity Photo 2 > Settings > Performance and change the Retina Rendering option to High Quality (Slowest) - does this resolve the temporary 'blurry' text you're seeing? 
  • and Affinity Photo 2 > Settings > Performance testing the various Render options

Attached are sample images of what it looks like within AP and AD at 400% zoom, and then the finished product exported from both.  Sadly, I just realized all my font-texture detail work is lost on the export from both products (I may have to rescale the font and try again to get a decent export result)

Regardless, still trying to figure out why I see the texture brush details in Designer, but not when I edit in Photo.  I have attached my .afphoto --- see the GLOWSHARD font at the bottom of the image.

AD not-blurry Screenshot 2024-03-07 074525.png

AP blurry Screenshot 2024-03-07 074525.png

Glowshard (baby dragon) based from nightcafe.afphoto

4 minutes ago, TrUzApalOOza said:

The attached image looks terrible in Photo now, is perfectly fine in Designer. 

Photo will always show a pixel view, Designer can show Pixels or Vectors. Meaning that if you zoom in close enough (to hundreds of % instead of 100%) you will start to see the individual pixels in Photo all the time. Whereas with Designer if you zoom in and have the View > View Mode > Vector then you will see the vector as a smooth line, if you choose View > View Mode > Pixels you will see that smooth vector line as pixels.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

2 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Photo will always show a pixel view, Designer can show Pixels or Vectors. Meaning that if you zoom in close enough (to hundreds of % instead of 100%) you will start to see the individual pixels in Photo all the time. Whereas with Designer if you zoom in and have the View > View Mode > Vector then you will see the vector as a smooth line, if you choose View > View Mode > Pixels you will see that smooth vector line as pixels.

2 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Well, that is way too simple.  I see that exactly now when altering the view mode in Designer.   Today's example must be exaggerated by the fact my pixel thickness for the texture frame around my text object was tiny.   I did resize it from 3->11 px wide and now the blurry pixel view in Photo is not so bad, and my finished JPG export it better.

So basically, the impact of seeing it in Pixel view will vary depending on the pixel size of the vector.  Bigger = less obvious, small = blur pops out.   Nothing really broke, it was just a jarring difference when I hopped back and forth via the the edit in Phoot/Designer menu options.

---BRIAN