You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Creating shapes directly in separate groups of layers

Hi, I don't know if this is an available option already, but if not, I would be practical to directly create shapes in a group of layers, by that I mean, let's say for example I'm creating a 3d object on the isometric grid, and I would like to put all the top shapes directly in a group of layers as I create them, so, just imagining here, I go on Window, select Group Layer, now every time I create a shape it goes directly in that group and when I've finished i can rename it Top Shapes for example and I I have the option of locking them all at once or hide them, do the usual stuff you can do on groups of layers, now I can create a new Group Layer and put all my side shapes or front shapes etc.

I hope that was clear enough 🤣

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @Helve. :)

57 minutes ago, Helve said:

I don't know if this is an available option already

Yes, it is. If you click on a Group or a container Layer in the Layers panel to make it selected, any new shapes you create will be added there instead of being added at the top level of the layer structure.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 hours ago, Alfred said:

click on a Group

For a Group, you need to select something within the group, not the group itself, for this to work.  Alternatively, with the group itself selected, enable "Insert inside the selection" from the toolbar.  It does work as @Alfred describes it for Layer and Artboard layers.

3 minutes ago, fde101 said:

For a Group, you need to select something within the group, not the group itself, for this to work.  Alternatively, with the group itself selected, enable "Insert inside the selection" from the toolbar.  It does work as @Alfred describes it for Layer and Artboard layers.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

We need a "You're welcome" reaction.  Responding to "Thanks" with a "Like" reaction seems to indicate "I like being thanked..." which is kind of disingenuous...  on the other hand a "Thanks" reaction to a "Thanks" post is more like "thanks for the thanks" which doesn't seem quite right either.  🤔

5 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Thanks for pointing that out.

No problem!