You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Download of built in assets takes forever

Seems to be mostly in the Windows versions.

Downloading the Assetts takes forever, and you can’t shut the app until it completes.

I had to restart, go to accounts and watch downloads, then when it finished I could close the app. Seems to be in all 3. Mac and iOS are ok. Quite fast.

iPad Mini 6.  256GB. My GoTo design platform.

M2 Mac Mini. 24GB. LG 4K Monitor. + Samsung Monitor 2.

Windows 10 Toshiba. Windows 11 Parallels on Mac.

Publisher. Designer. Photo for Mac, PC & iOS. FCP, DaVinci, CapCut, Luma Fusion. etc.

@Affinity-Inspiration on YouTube.

What kind of machine are you using on Windows and on macOS? And what kind of disk for the user data saved by the application (Settings, etc.)?

I've noticed it being slow on Windows, too, but there is a lot of I/O involved, so the disk will certainly be a part of it. My assets.propcol file, for example, is just over 5GB, which takes a lot of reading and rewriting to download and apply all the assets.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

What kind of machine are you using on Windows and on macOS? And what kind of disk for the user data saved by the application (Settings, etc.)?

I've noticed it being slow on Windows, too, but there is a lot of I/O involved, so the disk will certainly be a part of it. My assets.propcol file, for example, is just over 5GB, which takes a lot of reading and rewriting to download and apply all the assets.

I’m not sure if I’m talking about the right thing here. It's all the extras that can be downloaded from the My Account window.

Once one app is done the others seem to use them as well. But if you try and close the app before it's all downloaded it just sits there and gives the appearance of being locked up. Which it's not. 
if.... you open My Account to start with, you can watch the progress. THEN... YOU CAN wait for it to finish and then close the app.

This only happens once with essentially a clean install. And only with one of the three apps. 
I've only had an issue on one windows 11 platform I have. I've had the Mac and iOS running for years.

By the way, I'm not complaining rather letting people know it's not dead. It's just slow. And only once.

I do see a lot of people saying "OMG, it keeps locking up!"  That could be part of it. Sometimes nothing happens when downloads are happening. Very few people have fiber connections. Including me! 

Publisher. Designer. Photo for Mac, PC & iOS. FCP, DaVinci, CapCut, Luma Fusion. etc.

I had this issue yesterday and I shut down program from the task manager because it could not be closed otherwise.

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Ryzen 7 5700U Rx Vega 8 graphics 

16GB RAM (15.3 usable) 

Acer KB202 27in 1080p monitor

Affinity Photo 1.10.6

Affinity photo 2 2.4.2 Affinity Designer 2 2.4.2 Affinity Publisher 2 2.4.2 on Windows 11 Pro version 23H2

Beta builds as they come out.

canon 80d| sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM | Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Autofocus APS-C Lens, Black

7 minutes ago, Affinity-Inspiration said:

I’m not sure if I’m talking about the right thing here. It's all the extras that can be downloaded from the My Account window.

Yes, that's what I'm talking about. The files being downloaded are large, and reading the .propcol files and updating them takes a lot of I/O.

As far as I know all you can do is be patient, and let it finish.

(And it also seems to take a long time on my MacBook Air, too, but I haven't tried to time the operation to get a good comparison.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 2/29/2024 at 5:14 PM, walt.farrell said:

Yes, that's what I'm talking about. The files being downloaded are large, and reading the .propcol files and updating them takes a lot of I/O.

As far as I know all you can do is be patient, and let it finish.

(And it also seems to take a long time on my MacBook Air, too, but I haven't tried to time the operation to get a good comparison.

Thanks Walt. 

What would be nice is that process being stuffed into the background to run when the app is opened, starting from where it left off for instance so the app can be closed.

As it stands, the app can't be closed until its finished,  and there is no messaging to let the user know that there is a really  really long process taking place, and it could take hours for the app to actually close.

Fortunately, it doesn't happen very often. Once per install, I think. But it's disconcerting when it does.

A red stop sign could be displayed, with a message saying "Don't close this program until background downloading has completed, and this sign turns Green"

Easy.