You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello!

I like how a Live Hue Mask can work in a similar way to Photoshop’s Color Range tool for selecting skin tones. It’s not perfect, but I can get a selection that’s 90 percent there. However, the other ten percent is the issue.

Of course, you can remove elements from the mask with a black brush, but can’t paint in white. As such, what can I do to further build my selection other than refining the hue range?

If there is nothing we can do, what is the best way I can select skin tones and mask it? AP2 seems to have nothing that’s suitable, which is frustrating. My typical use case is to mask skin, then apply a gradient map and pick suitable tones before moving on.

In fact, I’m using Live Hue Masks to do this and also select complex textures like pet fur, flyaways, and other non-uniform elements.

Thanks!

@tomdot,

The only way I can replicate this, is to have the HSV box checked in the HSL Adjustment. Painting on the mask is occurring, but is not seen with the HSV box checked. Try unchecking that box.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

On 2/28/2024 at 3:54 PM, lepr said:

Thanks for this. It’s something I haven’t yet looked at in detail, but I like the idea of subtracting various live masks from each other. I’m hoping it’s accurate!

On 2/28/2024 at 4:04 PM, Ron P. said:

@tomdot,

The only way I can replicate this, is to have the HSV box checked in the HSL Adjustment. Painting on the mask is occurring, but is not seen with the HSV box checked. Try unchecking that box.

I’ve not tried this either actually, as I generally have a different way to pick specific tones on the skin. Of course, this falls down when I want to use any other adjustment.

I’m working on a way using the Selection Tool and further masking to make super accurate selections. If I come up with something good, I’ll come back and post it 😄