You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Adding Swatches in Publisher 2 bug

I have found this really annoying bug in Publisher 2.  Not sure if the same thing occurs in Designer.

BUG

When I create a new Document palette and go to add a new swatch to this palette, quite often the swatch will not appear in the palette.  This bug seems to occur randomly.

HOW I FIXED THIS BUG

The only way to fix this is to close down Publisher 2 and reopen it.  When you do this, you can see all of the swatches that you have added.

I know this was a bug and not a user issue as I clicked on a swatch to add it and nothing added to the palette.  So I clicked a few extra times and still nothing.  But when I closed the application down, reopened it and opened my file, the colour I clicked numberous times appeared in the palette the same amount of times I clicked it - so for example, I had black1, black2, black3 and black4 now appearing in the document swatches.

This was an easy task to delete the extra ones but very annoying having to close down and reopen when I work in a very busy printshop.  This isn't a one-off, this occurs many times throughout my working week to cause me grief to have to close down and reopen numerous times.

Please can someone find a fix to this bug as it has come across from version 1, as it too would do the same thing.  When I first used palettes in Publisher 1, when I was new to the software, I thought I was doing something wrong in adding swatches, but as it turns out, it's a bug.

• Staff

Hi @Graphical Chris It's not something I can currently reproduce in our V2 apps on Windows to log with the developers to look into further.

Are there any other workflows/steps you do that may cause it to occur. Can you do a screen recording that shows it happening?

It may not have any effect but it may be worth turning off Hardware Acceleration within the apps Settings > Performance and checking, just in case.

Hi Lee D,

These are the exact steps I take (and remember, this happens randomly, not every time).

1) Add Document palette and called it "Document"

2) Opened colour chooser and selected colour and clicked "close" on Colour Chooser.

3) Clicked Add Current Fill to Palette.

Usually I can add some fills, but repeating the steps from 2 onwards to add more colours I need, the colours do not appear after clicking "Add Current Fill to Palette".

The colours have been added, but they just don't appear, it's like the palette window doesn't refresh to show the colours added.  I know this, because when you close Publisher 2 down and reopen it, the swatches you added previously are there.  But you have to close down Publisher 2 for this to refresh.

In regard to hardware acceleration, I do not have this selected.  In fact, it won't let me selected as it says my graphic cards will not support this function. (I am using an Nvidia Quadro P400 graphics card).

Hi Lee D,

I have figured out how to reproduce this "bug" as it just happened again to me.  I therefore went and replicated the "bug" to confirm.  I have since discovered it is not a bug, but would be nice to get this changed as others maybe having this issue.  I will explain below what I did and what was happening for me to think this swatch was not appearing after adding it...

After opening a new document I did the following:

1) Created a new Document Palette to insert my swatches in.

2) In the swatches panel from the dropdown list select the following "PANTONE Formula Guide Solid Uncoated V5"

3) I typed in the search window for the pantone colour I wanted, in this case I typed "red" and selected the colour, by clicking once from the Pantone book so that the selected colour is highlighted in the "set fill" section above.

4) I Chose the drop down list menu again and selected the "Document Palette".  Currently empty of any swatches.

5) Then I clicked on the "Add current fill to Palette" button.  the red pantone colour now is located in my "Document Palette"

6) I then double clicked the "Set Fill" to open the "Color Chooser" so I can select a CMYK colour.  (I need pantone and CMYK colours mixed in my jobs for different machines to read the pantones for such things as laser cutting and printing of the CMYK colours.

7) Once I had my CMYK colour selected, I clicked on the "Add current fill to Palette" button.  This colour does not appear. nor any other colour...

BUT what I discovered was that in the swatches search window the word "red" is still present from my previous pantone search and this is only showing me the pantone red, no CMYK colours will appear.  When I deleted the "red" search from this window all swatches appeared.  I have had this issue for so long and only discovered now - wondering if there can be some way to remove a search after you click away or access anything else that is not inside the Swatches panel, as I can see what you would want it to stay showing you all available "red" swatches when selecting different colour books.  But then I clicked on creating a new fill and opened the colour Chooser; this would be good if that search window would reset to nothing.

Sorry to cause any issue, thankfully I have worked out what was happening.  Not a bug.