You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Adjustment layer not working on brush strokes

I use affinity photo 2 (V2.3.1) on a Mac M1.

I experimented and searched the internet for hours but could not find an answer to the following problem:

I start with a new document and use the brush to draw some arbitrary scribbling with different shades of grey. A new pixel layer is automatically created that holds my work. In the layer panel my pixel layer is selected. I click the "Adjustments" button to create a "Threshold" adjustment layer. The adjustment layer appears on top of my pixel layer.

I would expect the threshold adjustment to turn my grey shade drawing into a hard black and white drawing. But nothing happens. The adjustment layer has no effect at all. I tried moving the adjustment layer beneath the pixel layer or tried to group it with the pixel layer, but nothing works. The effect is not applied.

When I export my drawing on the pixel layer to a PNG file, start a new document in affinity photo and import that PNG file by dragging it into the layer panel, I am able to create a threshold adjustment layer that is applied to the drawing as expected.

This behaviour is very strange and unintuitive.

Two questions:

1) What is the difference between a pixel layer that I have created by painting with a brush and a pixel layer imported from a PNG file?

2) How can I make the adjustment layer work directly on my drawing without exporting and re-importing the pixel layer?

Test.afphoto

The issue is you're not drawing different shades of grey, but different levels of opacity.

Therefore, you will need to go to [Layer > New Fill Layer] and add a white fill layer below the pixel layer.

Ok, I have checked it and you are absolutely right. I did not realize that grey shades and different opacity levels are two different things, although on screen they may appear the same. When I use "genuine" grey shades it works as expected. Thanks for your fast and competent reply explaining this issue.