You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo - Polar Coordinates filter unexpected behaviour

Hi all,

I'm editing a 360 equirectangular panorama in Photo 2.3.1, and I want to inpaint an area of the ground where I didn't take any pictures due to my tripod being in the way. I am following the below steps, and at the end of the Polar Coordinates filters, my end panorama is duplicated side-by-side and the layer's size jumps from 23,522 x 11761 to 47,074 x 23,537.

Steps I'm following:

1. Flip Vertical
2. Align the sky region to the bottom of the canvas
3. Select all
4. Run the Rectangular to Polar filter
5. Scale the width in half
6. Inpaint the empty ground area
7. Scale the width by two
8. Run the Polar to Rectangular filter
9. Flip Vertical

After these steps, you can see in the screen record that my layer has been duplicated in some way. It's not the end of the world because I can just Rasterise & Trim, but it is unexpected behaviour.

2021 14" M1 Pro Macbook Pro, 16GB RAM

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Current Beta versions.

You can avoid most of the issue by strictly using rectangular canvas and fully opaque layers.

the results become unpredictably when using irregular aspect ratios caused by transparent areas.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Another way is to use live equirectangular projection and do the inpainting while it is active, then remove projection.

i made a screenshot from your video and cropped it to 900x450px. So the checkered board is not transparent any more. Otherwise i would run into the same issue like you.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Thanks @NotMyFault

Didn't think about using live projection - I forgot that was a feature in Photo, so thanks for reminding me!

Re your first post, I had hoped that selecting all incl the empty areas would avoid problems around irregular aspect ratios but perhaps not. I suppose if I wanted to keep with the polar filter route, I could add a 2:1 rectangle behind my image, flatten, then apply the filter and inpaint the solid colour region. Either way, it's much slower and cumbersome than the live projection option so I won't be using the polar filters for this going forward!

2021 14" M1 Pro Macbook Pro, 16GB RAM

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Current Beta versions.

Just a hint: life projection unavoidably reduce sharpness - same do polar/rectangular conversions.

so keep the original file and merge only edited areas if you want to keep as much sharpness as possible.