You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Latest update to Affinity Photo creates two sets of initial adjustment layers for FITS files

I recently updated to the latest version of Affinity Photo v2.3.1. When I open a .FITS file and select the proper Bayer pattern, two sets of initial adjustment layers (Curves/Levels) ending up with a total overexposed image. I have to delete the second set to return to what Affinity Photo did before the update. It also crashes on another .FITS file created by the ZWO ASIAIR stacking process. I think this could be due to the Bayer pattern code it has in its header ("4" = basically None) although other software can open the file but do not display it well.

JohnD

• Staff
On 2/4/2024 at 8:34 AM, johnptd said:

I recently updated to the latest version of Affinity Photo v2.3.1. When I open a .FITS file and select the proper Bayer pattern, two sets of initial adjustment layers (Curves/Levels) ending up with a total overexposed image. I have to delete the second set to return to what Affinity Photo did before the update. It also crashes on another .FITS file created by the ZWO ASIAIR stacking process. I think this could be due to the Bayer pattern code it has in its header ("4" = basically None) although other software can open the file but do not display it well.

JohnD

Hi @johnptd, the automatic creation of adjustment layers when opening a FIT file has always been present—from your description, it sounds like it's inadvertently being performed twice, however? I can't reproduce that here on macOS, are you on Windows?

Regarding the FIT file crashing, that's something the developer responsible for the astrophotography features would likely want to look at—are you able to provide a sample file? If you're happy to upload one, we can provide a private Dropbox upload link. Thanks!

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

Hi James,

Thanks for your quick response. Yes I am using Windows 11. The normal two adjustment layers are created when I open the file. When I click "apply" to "Develop FITS" pop-up showing the "RGGB" Bayer pattern, it then creates the second adjustment layer set. It did not do that before.

Regarding the FITS file crashing, I have complained to ZWO about the non-standard file that they end up with using their stacking software. This was a four minute stack of the Sun. I was able to open it in Affinity Photo 1. It also opens with their FITS viewer program and programs such as NASA's FITS Liberator and IrfanView, very over exposed in all cases requiring big histogram adjustments. I was able to use Curves and other adjustments in AP1 to get a decent image. I have attached the FITS header that FITS Liberator displayed for the file. As you can see it is very non-standard. I have attached the generated FITS file as well. It is only 1.75 mb in size.

JohnD

FITS_Info.txt 2024-02-04-164014-Sun-Bin1 31.6C_Planet_50.fit

• 4 weeks later...