You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Dear, 

I use Affinity Photo 2.3.1 on a Windows 10 Dell portable (with all recent Windows updates)

If I open Affinity, after clicking, Affinity freezes from 2 to 10 seconds, each time that the mouse is clicked. Other key, like ENTER or Keyboard Arrows have normal short response times. Same behaviour with other applications. If I leave Affinity, everything back to normal.

Any advice ?

Regards, Philippe

This is just a wild guess, but is your mouse connected with a USB hub? I recently got a hub because I had so many usb devices. I found that some devices acted weird or didn't work at all when they were plugged into the hub. 

• Staff

Hi @pdussart,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

Does this occur when using the trackpad built into your laptop, or when using an external mouse? If this happens when using a mouse, please disconnect this device and try using the trackpad only - does the same issue occur now please?

Can you please also navigate to Edit > Settings > Performance and provide a screenshot of your settings here for me?

Many thanks in advance :)

3 minutes ago, KarinC said:

... I found that some devices acted weird or didn't work at all when they were plugged into the hub. 

That's could happen, as HUBs have an overall limited bandwidth to the computer, which is always shared among all their ports when those are in use. Further and depending on computer connection & OS, some HUBs have a tendency to don't always reconnect successfull, after the computer wakes up (returns) from sleep modes. - The later can also happen for single external connected devices like mices (connected via bluetooth or USB ports).

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• Staff

Many thanks for providing this for me!

Firstly, please make sure your GPU drivers are fully up to date, directly from the manufactures website. As you have both an Intel and Nvidia GPU in your system, both of these will need to be updated independently.

Intel - https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/search.html#q=&sort=relevancy&f:@tabfilter=[Downloads]&f:@stm_10385_en=[Graphics]

Nvidia -https://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx?

Secondly, in the Performance dialog, please change the Renderer option to the RTX 3050

Finally, at the bottom of the Performance dialog, please untick Hardware Acceleration.

Restart the Affinity app as prompted and try using your mouse again - does this resolve the delay for you please? :)

Dan C,

Thank you, but the problem seems to be elsewhere. I use Norton and all my drivers are up to date.

I use a Logitech Pebble mouse, fed by rechargeable batteries.
For whaterver reason, all my AA batteries seem too provide a too low voltage, they probably have aged, or something like that, no problem for years.
I suppose the Bluetooth connection is becoming erratic, but I do not get warning message about this.

No problem with the touchpad.

I will try top quality non rechargeable batteries next week, and will use the touchpad in the mean time.

Thanks any way.

Regards, Philippe