You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Win 11 - Controlled access folders

I use a NAS drive to store all my documents but noticed recently that if I open a afPhoto file, I can I can make changes and then try "Save As" in order to save different versions.. Recently "save as" will not allow me to save to the same source location because it is a controlled folder on my PC.

I can add the app as to allow access to the controlled folder by including the full path and file name, but as Serif release a new version, I have to repeat the process as Win11 is looking for full filename path, which will change with each release of the app.
Any suggestions ?

Word and Excel work OK on the controlled folders as their exe name does not change with each release , unlike Serif.

Running version 2.3.1  on all apps.

One option is to uninstall the MSIX/Microsoft Store versions of the Affinity apps and install the alternative EXE versions that Serif provide as well.  Using the EXE versions will use predictable file paths to the Affinity executables (I.E. %ProgramFiles%\affinity\photo 2\photo.exe).

However, if you would prefer to continue using the MSIX/Microsoft Store versions of the Affinity apps, you could add the apps to the Controlled Folder Access allow list using PowerShell.  By using PowerShell, it will allow you to use wildcards (*) in place of the version numbers in the file paths to the executables.  See my previous post at the below link:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/170384-saving-files-blocked-by-controlled-access-folder-how-to-fix/&do=findComment&comment=979210