You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Some Designer files take forever to open.

It takes roughly 30 minutes to open a 879KB Designer file. The app itself starts pretty fast and other files work fine, and while I can edit other documents while the file is opening, this is very frustrating.

The only explanation I can find is that the file has a lot of linked images, artboards and slices.

image.thumb.png.2993896883a41108133195c3acc9a1bc.png

problem-file.afdesign

That document loaded for me in around a second but I don’t have the linked files.

The Resource Manager says that a lot of the images are “Linked (Remote)”, maybe from a website or somewhere similar, so that’s probably a good place to start.

If you have linked images it’s usually best to have them stored locally on the machine you are using.

I’ve attached a copy of the document with the images removed in case it helps.

problem-file-2.afdesign

Hi @marcomourao.

I tried it on my machine, and it opened in around 1 second. Obviously none of the linked images were present.

Does this version of the file (without the images) still take ages to open? Perhaps temporarily rename / move the location of the images so that the file can't find them to do the test.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

2 minutes ago, GarryP said:

That document loaded for me in around a second but I don’t have the linked files.

The Resource Manager says that a lot of the images are “Linked (Remote)”, maybe from a website or somewhere similar, so that’s probably a good place to start.

If you have linked images it’s usually best to have them stored locally on the machine you are using.

I’ve attached a copy of the document with the images removed in case it helps.

problem-file-2.afdesign

Thank you, your file indeed opens instantly.

Dang, now I feel dumb. The image files are on a Google Drive shared folder since I need to collaborate. I'll have to copy to a local folder.

Thank you!

12 minutes ago, Aammppaa said:

Hi @marcomourao.

I tried it on my machine, and it opened in around 1 second. Obviously none of the linked images were present.

Does this version of the file (without the images) still take ages to open? Perhaps temporarily rename / move the location of the images so that the file can't find them to do the test.

Yeah, I completely forgot the images were on a Google Drive folder. That seems to be the issue. Thank you!

You’re welcome.

Hopefully the document I gave you back has enough content that getting it in ‘working order’ again isn’t too much of a chore. (I only removed the image layers and their associated effects, if any. Everything else should still be there, even if it’s not visible as white on a white background.)