You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Sequencing Numbers Across Table Cells

I'm just learning my way around tables in Publisher and I'm trying to add a numbered sequence in each cell working left to right in a row.  When I try to use numbered lists it drops a period behind the number which I do not want.  It took me a long time to figure out how to format it so I can just manually type the numbers in and just hit tab in between but I have over 1000 to enter and it's so tedious.  Is there a way I can auto-populate each cell to be numbered in sequence without any extra characters besides the number? Thanks.

On 1/14/2024 at 3:17 AM, nbk_haw said:

Is there a way I can auto-populate each cell to be numbered in sequence without any extra characters besides the number?

I would use Data Merge feature to fetch an autofilled number sequence from an Excel sheet and use Data Merge Layout control to specify the number of columns and rows per page, and then use a paragraph style so that it is easy to change formatting afterwards. An underlying table with an equal number of cells (columns and rows) could be used to add a desired border formatting.

image.png.95b99cbe19b41ed2f3b10472a4f673db.png

After the data merge:

image.png.6985704fc4cbb5038d79261cbbffafb6.png

UPDATE: If the table to be created is something that is desired to fit on a single page, obviously the easiest method to have sequential numbering in a table would be creating an autonumber sequence in e.g. Excel or other app supporting this feature and then converting a number sequence to a table with desired number of columns in Word, LibreOffice Writer etc. and save it as a .docx file and then import into a Publisher document. Using the data merge feature would allow creating multipage table-like constructions and complex designs with multiple items placed per cell.

10 hours ago, nbk_haw said:

When I try to use numbered lists it drops a period behind the number which I do not want.

If you try that approach, you have full control over the formatting of the number and what follows it. In the Paragraph panel (or in a Text Style such as Numbered 1) you'll find a section for Bullets and Numbering, where there's a Text field that specifies the number and the following text. Here's a screenshot from an iPad, but it's similar on the desktop apps. You can simply remove the "." from that string.

But probably using Data Merge would be simpler.

image.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1