You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Editing a gradient on a contour (the tool doesn't allow this, it seems!...)

Hello, in Affinity Designer, you can apply a color gradient to fill a vector shape. Then, we can edit this gradient by invoking the tool of the same name to modify the colors and the angle of the gradient. It's perfect.

But you can also apply a color gradient to the outline of a vector shape. It's perfect. Unfortunately, unless there is an error or ignorance on my part, invoking the gradient tool is not operational in this case!... And it is therefore impossible to edit the angle of the gradient, the colors can still be modified from the palette of the same name.

It is possible to vectorize the outline. It would then become a shape with a background which would allow the gradient to be edited, but we would then lose the possibility of subsequently modifying the qualities of this outline (thickness, dotted lines, etc.).

Here's a solution, shaky, but it works.

1 – Apply a gradient to the outline,
2 – Reverse the background and outline colors,
3 – Edit the gradient then applied to the background (here, the orientation),
4 – Invert the background and outline colors again.

Again, if there is a better solution, I'm all ears. Thank you... ;-)

image.thumb.png.92b7dd80bc16ae93cb4e96d532c8b4ab.png

Mac Mini M1 16Go – macOS 13.6.4

I think you are asking about on a Stroke, rather than a Contour or Outline (both of which are other types of object!)

To edit the Stroke gradient you need to change the Context of the Fill Tool in the toolbar...

image.png.d33f176c598a9ecb9aa65f342472b088.png

See first line of Settings in the Help... https://affinity.help/designer2/English.lproj/pages/Tools/tools_gradient.html

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

It is actually a frustrating option, as it is tucked out of the way on the toolbar far from the drawing.

I wish there was a keyboard shortcut to toggle between Stroke & Fill context.

OMG! I've just tried hitting X (the regular shortcut for toggling between Fill and Stroke) and it works in the Fill Tool. Can't believe that I never tried it before! This is far quicker and more convenient.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

To support your point, I would have appreciated that these elements (icons, informations and functions) were not positioned on the left of this contextual bar, but more effectively centered horizontally.

Mac Mini M1 16Go – macOS 13.6.4