You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Placed PDF in Photo changes chosen page after closing and re-opening document

Version 2.3.1 Mac M1  with and without Acceleration repeatable.

• I placed(File->Place) an PDF File with 4 pages.
  • Made 3 copies with Command-C Command-V
  • Grouped all four.
  • Then I chose pages 1-4 in the ArtBoard setting in the context menu so that each PDF page was visible.
  • After saving, closing the document and reopening it, the page settings are random
Edited by fulanku

Hi @fulanku and welcome to the forums,

I believe this is a known bug which happens when the PDF is Linked rather than embedded though I'm struggling to find the bug reference at the moment so I can't check whether or not this is listed as fixed but I'll update this thread once I (or anyone else) have been able to locate it...

It would have been reported initially as an issue in Publisher rather than Photo but I believe it is likely the same issue...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

Posted (edited)

Hi @Hangman,

I searched for the bug but couldn't find it. I tried the workaround with embedding the PDF, but with no success. The pages still get mixed up.

Well, I fired too early. After embedding and setting each page again, the problem is solved.

Edited by fulanku

5 minutes ago, fulanku said:

Well, I fired too early. After embedding and setting each page again, the problem is solved.

Though of course, this is still effectively a bug since there should be no need to Embed your placed files but hopefully, for now at least, this provides a workaround...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

The issue "Placing any multiple page PDF and setting duplicate to display a different page will always show page 1 when saved and reopened" (REF: AF-1726) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.5.0.2335".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Affinity Info Bot to notify us.