You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Faux linocut 3

faux_lino_003a.png.bd506db831e917b0ea634d2c29220f55.png

I am trying to produce prints that have something of the the look of linocuts printed letterpress yet are produced using Affinity Designer and a laser printer.

This image full size is A4 with a 7 inch by 5 inch linocut block aligned centred.

I would do this by exporting a PDF document.

Yet this picture, if I can get it right, will just be to give in this forum an impression of what I am trying to achieve.

I am thinking of exporting a monochrome black PDF document and it being printed "black and white" on light blue paper.

The faux linocut image is produced using a filled black rectangle upon which is a closed loop filled white that was drawn using the Pen Tool and then the positions of the points adjusted, some numerically using the Transform Panel and some manually. Some points kept sharp, some made smooth.

What I need to do is to make the fill of the closed loop to be transparent and cut through the black background so that the blue background shows through so that the impression is of the forest at dawn, so the things in the forest are not distinguishable but the tree is visible in silhouette against the light blue colour of the sky.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

2 hours ago, William Overington said:

[…] a filled black rectangle upon which is a closed loop filled white that was drawn using the Pen Tool […]

2 hours ago, William Overington said:

What I need to do is to make the fill of the closed loop to be transparent and cut through the black background so that the blue background shows through

Select the two layers: Rectangle and Curve, then choose Layer > Geometry > Subtract. 

Affinity Suite 2.4 – Monterey 12.7.4 – MacBookPro 14" 2021 M1 Pro 16Go/1To

I apologise for any approximations in my English. It is not my mother tongue.

• 2 weeks later...

Very strong abstract imagery. Just a thought, but in the physical world your finished print would inevitably have the odd carving or printing imperfection. If the intention is to simulate a real lino print, maybe try and slightly 'grunge up' your image a little to give it an even more authentic look. To do this digitally, you could try overlaying textures and use brushes to simulate a bit of wobble to the lines.

v2.4.1 Designer/Photo/Publisher | Mac mini (M1, 2020) | Sonoma 14.4.1