You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Help with Overlap and Tails

Hello all,

I am fairly new to vector, but have done several logos and brochures and side projects on Inkscape. I have just purchased Affinity suite as I'd like to get more into digital art as a hobby.

I was wondering if I could get some community help as I can't find answers to this online.

I am currently working on my first project, to vectorize a little fish I drew recently.

Questions:

1. How do I overlap layers/objects that are both above AND behind another object? As you can see in this image, the little waves/splashes are overlapping AND going behind the body/fins. Also, the gills are hard for me to figure out. How do I tuck the little blue gill part behind the white gill part if I make the entire white gill part one object? Am I making sense here? If I send it behind the white, it all goes behind, if I put it above, the fill line is obvious.

2. How do I add tails to my closed objects. Do I just create an enclosed object, then draw a tail on it with the pencil and group the tail with the enclosed object? Or, is there a way to have a "tail" or single path extending past an enclosed area?

Sorry, I don't see a way to insert images inside the post. I hope this is making sense.

Thank you in advance.

Screenshot Tail.png

Screenshot Overlap.png

Screenshot Overlap 2.png

Screenshot Tail 2.png

21 hours ago, Mr. Sam said:

2. How do I add tails to my closed objects. Do I just create an enclosed object, then draw a tail on it with the pencil and group the tail with the enclosed object? Or, is there a way to have a "tail" or single path extending past an enclosed area?

Select the 3 curves enclosing the area in layer stack. Then use vector fill tool, choose color and click once inside the area.

https://youtu.be/JSxLzJjaG_4?si=IglK0EjU5XNHCh3r

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

19 hours ago, Mr. Sam said:

1. How do I overlap layers/objects that are both above AND behind another object?

The layers need to be sorted according to depth axis (distance to viewer).

So start with the layers far away at bottom, and the nearest on top.

If 2 layers cross in depth axis (both partially overlap, giving no clear sequence), you must split those layers at the edge defining the line of visibility and cut them into smaller pieces. This can be done using copies of the shape as vector masks.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Please try to ask only one question in a thread. It becomes cluttered very soon if you ask multiple at once. Start with the easiest or most urgent one.

11 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

Please try to ask only one question in a thread. It becomes cluttered very soon if you ask multiple at once. Start with the easiest or most urgent one.

I will try both of your suggestions tonight when I get home from work. Thank you for the input, and I will take your advice on future posts. I get how this can get confusing about who is answering which question. Thanks again.

The advertising shows one option to impact visibility

https://youtube.com/shorts/eqvLoTSPIYY?si=EQKAV9FDxcNWgqt3

On 12/4/2023 at 12:29 PM, NotMyFault said:

Select the 3 curves enclosing the area in layer stack. Then use vector fill tool, choose color and click once inside the area.

https://youtu.be/JSxLzJjaG_4?si=IglK0EjU5XNHCh3r

NotMyFault... You ARE at fault for hitting the nail on the head with this. Thank you, I figured out how to have a shape using the pencil tool and then filling it with the fill tool through the link you gave. Thank you!image.thumb.gif.c3e5446cb4429fa3731f0dc0ed36f40a.gif