You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

TIFF files not supported in Publisher

CassP

54 minutes ago, CassP said:

I just downloaded the latest update and now when I try to place a TIFF file, or open an older file with existing TIFF images, the resource manager states that this file type is not supported.

Hi and welcome to the forums.

I'm not able to duplicate this problem with 2.3.0 and any of my TIFF files. Could you please share a sample file for testing?

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

• Staff

Just a thought, are the TIFF files you're trying to access actually offline copies? I had this issue a few weeks ago—Publisher will report the images as "unsupported" if they're online only, it seemingly won't trigger Dropbox's mechanism to download offline versions of the files when they're accessed. Worth a try, as apart from that I've never had any issues working off Dropbox across the apps..

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

4 hours ago, James Ritson said:

Just a thought, are the TIFF files you're trying to access actually offline copies? I had this issue a few weeks ago—Publisher will report the images as "unsupported" if they're online only, it seemingly won't trigger Dropbox's mechanism to download offline versions of the files when they're accessed. Worth a try, as apart from that I've never had any issues working off Dropbox across the apps..

This was exactly the problem, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Affinity Publisher 2 on MAC OS 13.2.1 has a bug with TIFF files. It cannot replace or PLACE TIFF files, either actual or by reference. The TIFF files are local, on my harddrive. The PLACE/REPLACE operations work just fine with JPEGs, PS, Photo files. Something about TIFF files it doesn't like.  When I try to do these things with TIFF files, the application either crashes or leaves nothing in the area in which the image is supposed to be.

27 minutes ago, jimLamont said:

Affinity Publisher 2 on MAC OS 13.2.1 has a bug with TIFF files. It cannot replace or PLACE TIFF files, either actual or by reference. The TIFF files are local, on my harddrive. The PLACE/REPLACE operations work just fine with JPEGs, PS, Photo files. Something about TIFF files it doesn't like.  When I try to do these things with TIFF files, the application either crashes or leaves nothing in the area in which the image is supposed to be.

Hi Jim and welcome to the forums. Could you please upload a sample TIFF file for testing? I have many TIFF files and have no difficulties placing them so there may be an issue with your TIFF files.

Which program were they created with?

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

HI Mike. Thank you for your offer of assistance, however there no longer seems to be a problem. That is, I can no longer replicate the problem. Very strange. Before reporting it, I replicated the problem repeatedly while trying various alternative file formats. Just now, while preparing to respond to your offer I reduced the size to 1028 pixels max dimension of one of the TIFFs that had been causing the problem, exported it using Affinity Photo2, and then tested it before replying. To my astonishment, there was no problem. So I tried the original full-size TIFF (a 45 Mpixel beast; exported from Capture One v22. Again, no problem. So I tried another TIFF I knew had caused the problem initially. Again, no problem. As a final check, I quite Publisher and reopened it and immediately tried one of the original TIFFs. Still no problem. I have no explanation, but there is absolutely no doubt whatsoever that when I first tried with Publisher 2 earlier this morning, there was a problem that could be replicated. I did not restart the OS; the only thing that changed to my knowledge is that Carbon Copy Cloner is no longer running its backup in the background; I doubt that has anything to do with it. Anyway, I no longer have a problem, for whatever reason. Thanks again for your offer.