You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

2 new features for Affinity Designer 2.4

Hello, I have the following wishes for Affinity Designer 2.4

Rectangular Grid Tool:

Of course, you can also draw up individual boxes by hand and duplicate them. Next to each other or one below the other.

That's no problem. But with a rectangular grid tool it would be much easier and quicker to create a grid of the desired size
To produce. By double-clicking on the icon you could then set the grid to 10 x 10 and then open it.

This would be the optimal addition to the Shape Builder, for example.

In Affinity Designer the brush function is already very good.
But what I miss most is a vector brush.

You create a new graphic and then add it to the brushes.
For example as a pattern or vector brush.

Then you can assign this vector brush to an object. For example around a circle. Here is an example of such a function.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKFZjztD4dY

--
Apple 2020 Mac Mini M1 Chip (16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD)
Affinity V2 Universallizenz 2.3.1 + always latest beta

2 hours ago, deepblue said:

Rectangular Grid Tool:

Of course, you can also draw up individual boxes by hand and duplicate them. Next to each other or one below the other.

That's no problem.

Just to be sure you know: https://affinity.help/designer2/en-US.lproj/pages/ObjectControl/objectGrids.html

Tutorial: 

It's not completely what you're asking for, but much simpler than the old way.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hello Walt,

thank you for your message. I watched the video carefully again. Also specifically the Quick Grids function. A really great function.

It's not exactly what I'm looking for in Affinity Designer 2.3,
but I will try to optimize or adapt my work.

For me it is easier to select the function in the toolbar and expand the grid to the desired size. Then I always use the Shape Builder Tool.

But it also works with Quick Grids. Thank you Walt.

What about the vector brush function? I included a video as an example under my post. The possibilities with a vector brush would be really great.

Is there a way to implement this in Affinity? It started with the Greek pattern in a circle. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a way to create something like this as a vector file with Affinity Designer.

As a pixel file, Affinity Designer 2.3 can be used with the brush without any problems. But it is not possible as a vector file.

Or have I missed a possibility in Affinity Designer 2.3?

Thank you very much for your help.

--
Apple 2020 Mac Mini M1 Chip (16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD)
Affinity V2 Universallizenz 2.3.1 + always latest beta

11 minutes ago, deepblue said:

What about the vector brush function? I included a video as an example under my post. The possibilities with a vector brush would be really great.

Is there a way to implement this in Affinity?

I doubt anything like that would happen before V3, if then. It is such a different kind of brush, and it would need to be added such that Designer would support 3 kinds of brushes: pixel, vector (as it currently is), and "true vector".

But only Serif staff would know for sure.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I think the vector brush confusion in Affinity comes from users being used-to/familiar with the 'true vector' brushes in Illustrator, which can also be outlined and turned into pattern strokes (I used to go a step further and make them fonts too) but are also slower and don't display until your curve has been drawn.

I really like the speed and instant feedback of the vector brushes in Affinity (they remind me of the great old Creature House Expression vector-painting software which was unfortunately borged and then killed by Microsloth).

The speed and feedback of Affinity made me switch most of my Illustration work from Illustrator to Affinity......but it would be good to have true (and outlineable) vectors too occasionally (as well as some of the other useful Illustrator tools like smoothing too).