You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Tips for converting a PSD with smartobjects?

I have a couple of PSDs where one is a smartobject embedded in the other. These are files for a clothing mockup and made for Photoshop, where they are supposed to 'just work.'

I've tried placing the 2nd PSD but that did nothing. Upon further investigation, the smart object is used in multiple layers, in different orientations, with masks to allow only a portion to be visible. If the mockup was for a front t shirt, the layers would be left arm, right arm, and torso.

Now that I wrote that out, maybe Symbols make the most sense. But it will take some trial & error to match the placement on different layers - and then I want to be able to use the files on desktop or iPad.

Any tips or suggestions would be most welcome, I'm actually tempted to subscribe to Ps just to make my life easier.

And I just discovered the 'Import PSD smart objects where possible' setting in both apps, which makes the files work as expected. Will the apps on iPad be aware of where to find the 'embedded' file, if the file structure is identical? The files are setup like this:

Main folder: the smart object PSD
Sub folder inside Main folder: the main PSD that uses the smart object PSD

14 minutes ago, Joe S. said:

Will the apps on iPad be aware of where to find the 'embedded' file, if the file structure is identical?

If not, you can use Resource Manager to locate the inner file.

But I think your folder order is inverted from the usual expectation, which would be that the file you're Opening is in the main folder, and the included file is in the subfolder.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
    Laptop 2: Windows 11 Pro 24H2,  16GB memory, Snapdragon(R) X Elite - X1E80100 - Qualcomm(R) Oryon(TM) 12 Core CPU 4.01 GHz, Qualcomm(R) Adreno(TM) X1-85 GPU
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.7, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.7

I also thought it was weird that the included file was in the Main folder and not the Subfolder. But I did confirm that it works on iPad with Photo but not with Designer. But what I can do is use Designer to edit the Included file, and then open up the main file in Photo for exporting.

Thank you!

40 minutes ago, Joe S. said:

But what I can do is use Designer to edit the Included file, and then open up the main file in Photo for exporting.

Photo should be able to edit it, too.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
    Laptop 2: Windows 11 Pro 24H2,  16GB memory, Snapdragon(R) X Elite - X1E80100 - Qualcomm(R) Oryon(TM) 12 Core CPU 4.01 GHz, Qualcomm(R) Adreno(TM) X1-85 GPU
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.7, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.7