You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Making a ‘Greek-style’ round border in Designer 2

In reaction to a recent question, I’ve attached a video showing one method you can use to create a vector ‘Greek-style’ border using various tools in Designer 2 (some of the tools used aren’t in Photo or Publisher, or earlier versions of Designer).

Some of the functionalities/tools used are:

• Quick Grid (to get the initial grid of squares);
  • Shape Builder Tool (to join the squares up, not actually necessary in this case);
  • Geometry functionality (to tidy things up and make them easier to manipulate);
  • Warp Group (to create the ‘bend’);
  • Move Data Entry (to create multiple copies).

If you need a different number of ‘repeats’, or differently-sized/spaced overall result, then you will need to calculate the Warp Value and Rotation differently, and maybe use a different height/width ratio for the initial design.

I’ll leave it to you to experiment.

image.png.91996aa49384f18d4ec7f94f3ecbd30c.png

@GarryP

As an example, I watched your video carefully and recreated it 1:1.
This really works very well.

Now I would like to increase the number of graphics from 10 to 29.

Bend - I selected Horizontal and set the "Value" to 20%.
The graphic is then converted into curves.

Unfortunately, this doesn't work with a large number of graphics.

The result should then look like in my example.

Do you perhaps have an idea how to achieve this?

--
Apple 2020 Mac Mini M1 Chip (16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD)
Affinity V2 Universallizenz 2.3.1 + always latest beta

As I said at the end of my original post, if you need a different number of repeated items you will need to manually calculate the Warp Value to cope with the change somehow.

Unfortunately I don’t yet understand how, for example, a Warp Value of 20% should allow for ten items (each at a 36 degree rotation → 10×36 = 360) as the Warp Value isn’t properly documented in the Help as far as I can see. (I just happened across some values that actually worked without much planning.)

I think you might have some trouble trying to calculate the Warp Value for 29 items as 29 doesn’t nicely divide into 360 and I don’t know if the Warp Value can hold non-integer numbers.

The lower the Warp Value the less the design ‘bends’ but I don’t know how that can be translated into/from a useful value.
The way the design bends at high Warp values I’m guessing that the warp maybe isn’t supposed to be used the way I used it and I just got lucky.

Sorry that I can’t be much more help on this as I’m not ‘mathematically inclined’, but someone else might be able to help better.

Note: I don’t know if this was your intention but, to ‘at’ someone – e.g. to notify them – you need to start typing with the “@” character, then continue typing their nickname without a space, then pressing enter when their nickname is selected, or manually selecting their nickname from the pop-up list. Doing it any other way just gets you some text with a “@” at the start.