You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Created/Exported Brushes should have a Default Reset

Have read previous posts about this, and know all about duplicating a brush, saving copies and such beforehand when deciding to alter a Brushes settings…to simply test it out or try new settings. 
‘But the fact that there is no actual working ‘Reset’ - to auto return all settings to their initial default settings, when the Brush was originally created, is a major oversight (especially since it’s been discussed several years prior, with no updates to make it possible).

A major Developer of an app, with the popular ability for diverse and dynamic Brush creation, has a simple additional feature in their Brush Settings, to set a Default Point for Settings. Whereby a Default Point is set upon the last settings made before saving…BUT ALSO saves that Default Point, so that is at anytime anyone wants to experiment with a Brush but changes their mind…can return to the original settings. 
Any altered settings can still be saved….so you can utilize your newly applied one to a Brush, but can STILL revert back to the original. 

And if you wanted to save your newly changed brush…you THEN would save a copy of it, going through what you have currently set up as having to do…which makes more sense. NOT having to Delete and Reinstall every single every time.  (The Brush Creator is protected simply as well with Authoring the Brush).
‘The fact there is no SIMPLE way for this to be done is highly inefficient and rather absurd. 

Especially in a modern tech Graphic Design market where there are numerous possibilities, yet are restricted with such a simple solution, having to resort to tedious workarounds. 
‘Would be nice to have a simple Reset on Brushes…that actually works or does what should be intended.

On 11/25/2023 at 7:01 PM, StudioJason said:

‘But the fact that there is no actual working ‘Reset’ - to auto return all settings to their initial default settings, when the Brush was originally created, is a major oversight (especially since it’s been discussed several years prior, with no updates to make it possible).

Doesn't this feature work the way you expect it to?

image.png.2dfd0c3babc43a37af12e0208ad29e2c.png

If your brush is marked as red, it means that you can reset the brush back to its original state. No changes done to your brush will be saved unless you actually press Update Brush, which changes the defaults to whatever settings you have at the present. Duplicating a brush with specific settings will save your brush with those same settings, which is how it works in Photoshop last I recall.

6 minutes ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

Doesn't this feature not work the way you expect it to?

image.png.2dfd0c3babc43a37af12e0208ad29e2c.png

If your brush is marked as red, it means that you can reset the brush back to its original state. No changes done to your brush will be saved unless you actually press Update Brush, which changes the defaults to whatever settings you have at the present. Duplicating a brush with specific settings will save your brush with those same settings, which is how it works in Photoshop last I recall.

No. Never has. Is always greyed out. You either have to remember the settings or delete,and reinstall as posted. 
In fact, to alter the settings…and use the Brush..you have to Save first…which completely changes the Brush altogether…and no Reset, again as already mentioned. Maybe it is different for the Desktop….but I’m on an iPad Pro and doesn’t work. And if it is the old argument between cost/features between the two….then it is more than absurd and ridiculous. 
‘Should simply be a part of Brush Creation. Period.

26 minutes ago, StudioJason said:

No. Never has. Is always greyed out. You either have to remember the settings or delete,and reinstall as posted. 
In fact, to alter the settings…and use the Brush..you have to Save first…which completely changes the Brush altogether…and no Reset, again as already mentioned. Maybe it is different for the Desktop….but I’m on an iPad Pro and doesn’t work. And if it is the old argument between cost/features between the two….then it is more than absurd and ridiculous. 
‘Should simply be a part of Brush Creation. Period.

This has nothing to do with cost. A feature not working as expected is always worth bringing up. I am just trying to understand what is wrong. 

I don't know how it works on iPad, but on desktop resetting a brush is only possible if it is marked as red on the list. If the operator is grey it means that the settings are already on the default settings and there is nothing to reset. Duplicating a brush marked red is supposed to save the brush with the changed settings, so if you want two identical brushes you need to have the settings reset before duplicating.

If this isn't the case on iPad it may very well be a bug.

19 hours ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

This has nothing to do with cost. A feature not working as expected is always worth bringing up. I am just trying to understand what is wrong. 

I don't know how it works on iPad, but on desktop resetting a brush is only possible if it is marked as red on the list. If the operator is grey it means that the settings are already on the default settings and there is nothing to reset. Duplicating a brush marked red is supposed to save the brush with the changed settings, so if you want two identical brushes you need to have the settings reset before duplicating.

If this isn't the case on iPad it may very well be a bug.

Then it’s been a bug as mentioned, since the iteration of Version 1 of the apps…again as mentioned, with no updated fix ever. And as previously stated, has already been brought up in several posts (one even dated 2019) with prominent users who frequently offer help on this forum, to do the only thing possible…make copies, delete and reinstall. My post isn’t looking for assistance, because there is none. It’s in the Feedback section…and for a reason. A User giving feedback, so hopefully Devs will correct a big oversight. 
Appreciate your attempts, but you are not on the Affinity Dev Team, which this Feedback is for.

1 hour ago, StudioJason said:

Then it’s been a bug as mentioned, since the iteration of Version 1 of the apps…again as mentioned, with no updated fix ever. And as previously stated, has already been brought up in several posts (one even dated 2019) with prominent users who frequently offer help on this forum, to do the only thing possible…make copies, delete and reinstall. My post isn’t looking for assistance, because there is none. It’s in the Feedback section…and for a reason. A User giving feedback, so hopefully Devs will correct a big oversight. 
Appreciate your attempts, but you are not on the Affinity Dev Team, which this Feedback is for.

The feature I showed was introduced in a V2 patch, so it could likely be a V2 specific bug in that case. You couldn't reset brushes to default values in V1 without selecting the brush again in the Brushes panel, so unless you are talking strictly about V1 then there would be something that's not working with the V2 features.

Feedback threads tend to be better when there's no confusion involved with what's wrong. That is primarily why I am asking questions so things become clearer. Anyway, I don't have any more questions to ask. Hope the devs fix your issue.

7 hours ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

The feature I showed was introduced in a V2 patch, so it could likely be a V2 specific bug in that case. You couldn't reset brushes to default values in V1 without selecting the brush again in the Brushes panel, so unless you are talking strictly about V1 then there would be something that's not working with the V2 features.

Feedback threads tend to be better when there's no confusion involved with what's wrong. That is primarily why I am asking questions so things become clearer. Anyway, I don't have any more questions to ask. Hope the devs fix your issue.

I’m using and have been using V2 since release.

Thanks.