You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher crashing all the time

You could try …

… if "Save As…" with a new file name would reduce the issue.

… to temporarily switch the resources from 'linked' to 'embedded' -> choose "Save As…" -> switch them back if wanted.

… to avoid updating the pdf-links but replace the objects instead. Possibly with deleting them from the layout + placing them again.

… create a new .afpub with same size and colour profile, then import the affected .afpub via menu "Document" > "Add Pages From File".

And/or upload a sample layout .afpub with an according pdf plus the .pdf for further inspection or tests for the possible culprit.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 2 weeks later...

HOW I STOPPED AFFINITY PUBLISHER FROM CRASHING

Bottom Line Up Front - there was some conflict in the file that I was editing that caused AP to crash about 10 seconds after opening it. I created a new document and created new master pages and the crashing stopped (for now).

Explanation and background - I had created some master pages, text styles and had written a lot of content. After several months away from the project, I returned and did some editing and work: some format changes; new text styles; some copy editing. I then saved everything and shut down my computer. The following day I opened up the file, let's call it TEXTBOOK CHAPTER 1, and it began crashing. This had happened before and a search on the internet revealed that it was not an uncommon problem.

My Solution that has worked (so far) - Because I had copied TEXTBOOK CHAPTER 1 and then edited it as another chapter, let's call the second file TEXTBOOK CHAPTER 2, I now had two files that originated from the same source. When I found that TEXTBOOK CHAPTER 1 and TEXTBOOK CHAPTER 2 were both crashing, the only thing I could assume was that there was some bug in the original TEXTBOOK CHAPTER 1 file, which remained with the copied file that became TEXTBOOK CHAPTER 2. So both files were corrupt!

SOLUTION: Here's what I did:

1. I turned of the hardware accelerator which was a suggestion someone else posted. (Go to Edit>Settings>Performance, then untick/uncheck the "*Hardware Acceleration:    Enable OpenCL compute acceleration" check box and then restart the computer)

2. I created a new document and created new master pages.

3. I have been working now for over an hour and not a single crash... HOWEVER! I want to cut and paste the content from the corrupt files into the new master pages so I'm going to export them to a Word Document and then import them into the new files. Sort of like laundering the files through Word. (WORD!)

This solution may not work for everybody, and I might find that the crashing may recommence... but the last hour has been crash free, but the hour prior to my solution being created, I had over 20 crashes!

Good Luck, guys!

Edited by ConwayB