You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher v2.2.1 constantly crashes

Hi everyone.

Ever since the 2.2.1 update, the app has become completely unusable. It will crash constantly, often within seconds after startup, even with no file loaded. I'm on Windows 11 with all updates, including drivers, up to date and this behavior only started after updating from 2.1.7 to 2.2.1. The original install was via MSIX and I tried reinstalling it and clearing all preferences with zero effect. It even crashes on the constantly reappearing and broken License Activation screen.

Is there any way to at least downgrade to a functioning version?

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

33 minutes ago, S.Hunter said:

It even crashes on the constantly reappearing and broken License Activation screen

I wonder if you might have a mix of MSIX-based and EXE-based Affinity V2 applications installed? You must use all MSIX or all EXE or you'll need to reactivate often.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.5, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.5

Hi and thanks!
Affinity Publisher is the only Affinity software (V2 or otherwise) I've installed and I'm fairly certain that I've never installed it via EXE, unless the original test download hands you the EXE. I've read your posts in this forum regarding the EXE and MSIX installer issues, so I went and made sure that I've only used the MSIX so far.

I have some additional ideas to try and wrangle the issue, in case something has been corrupted so far. I'll try my luck once I have time and, if it works, I'll report back for others with similar issues to try their hand.

Having the same issues here. Latest Affinity Photo 2 (currently on v2.2.1) crashes right away upon opening any file (load a file or create a new empty one). I'm on Win 11 as well with latest NVIDIA drivers for my graphics card. The blank/empty app is fine (I can see menus, toolbars, etc.), but as soon as I would expect the app to render a canvas it crashes without further notice. Is there any way we can help identifying the problem. Any log file that might help? As it stands Affinity Photo is completely unusable.

=edit=

Installed via MSIX. Also, earlier v2 versions worked fine. Only started happening with a recent update.

Edited by profix898

It's been a couple of days and I managed to fix all the issues (for now) on my end and finish the book. I'm not sure what did it exactly, but I made sure to note down all my steps.
Keep in mind that before this, I already cleared user data and reinstalled AP several times, as well as made sure Windows and all my drivers were up to date.

1. Clear User Data (On Windows, hold control when starting AP and keep holding it until the software has opened, make sure everything is cleared)
  2. Uninstall Affinity Publisher
  3. Reinstall Affinity Publisher (2.2.1, via MSIX installer)
  4. Clear User Data again (make sure that ALL boxes are checked and EVERYTHING is cleared)
  5. Open AP, enter your credentials.

Presto. Ever since I did this, I've had no crashes or authentication issues.

I've been updating a document I produced last year in 2.2.1 on a Window 11 laptop with a hex processor. I'd got about halfway and just returned to it today. I'm not sure it's relevant to the crash problem but the text paragraphs all appeared in bold. After reformating, I went to adjust a paragraph indent and the app crashed. I resaved it with another name and started again. Had to get rid of the bold formatting again, successfully, then clicked in the paragraph to correct the indent -- crash! In previous weeks, I successfully completed two projects, now with the printer, without incident -- and one of these was a victim of the "erratic text style" problem. Is reinstalling 2.2.1 the next step? Being cautious, I still have V1 of the suite installed but haven't upgraded Photo (which I use) and Designer (which I don't, being unwilling to abandon decades of experience with Corel Draw).

PS: I'm also working as a guest user on a hospital network for a couple of days -- not sure that's relevant either.