You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Convert to curve / boolean operations ?

Would I be correct in saying that you have the lower design and want it to look like the upper design with the ‘gaps’ between the letters?

Or do you want to be able to manipulate the letter glyphs in the lower design so they look those in the upper design?

Or both, or something else?

I’ve attached a video showing one way to do what I think you want (get the ‘gaps’) by adding Strokes and using the Shape Builder Tool. (There may be some steps that aren’t actually needed, try experimenting for yourself.)

Note: I’ve used Arial Bold for the text as I don’t have the font you used.

Note: I first align the text as the “D” and “G” are not the same height, and move the curves so they ‘meet’ nicely.

Note: I press ENTER at the end of using the Shape Builder Tool to create the new shape.

You’re welcome.

One quick way, as long as the font glyph isn’t drawn in a strange way, is to draw a straight line with the Pen Tool from one of the inner nodes to outside of the letter and then use Geometry Divide. Then you can drag the bottom of the ‘leg’ up with the Node Tool as required – see attached video.

I’ve found this to be more accurate than using the Knife Tool in some cases where you need to cut straight lines at nodes.