You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Leica Q series camera support

Whad does "Leica Q2 & compatibles" mean, as supported camera?

Leica Q3 is not officially supported, and has a different sensor than the Q2 (and the Q), so it is not clear what the phrase does mean. Any idea?

Hope that the Q3 will be officially supported ASAP, anyway.

• Staff

Hi @Maxbe!

1 hour ago, Maxbe said:

Whad does "Leica Q2 & compatibles" mean, as supported camera?

Usually '& compatibles' in the Lens dialog is referring to compatible lenses for the camera, that are not the default lens the camera is sold with - however as I understand it the Q2 doesn't support a swappable lens, therefore this wording is a little confusing. I'll be sure to let our team know regarding this to see if the wording can be tweaked.

1 hour ago, Maxbe said:

Leica Q3 is not officially supported, and has a different sensor than the Q2 (and the Q), so it is not clear what the phrase does mean. Any idea?

Hope that the Q3 will be officially supported ASAP, anyway.

As you've mentioned, the Leica Q3 is not currently included in our RAW Support list for V2. As Affinity Photo uses LibRAW for RAW support, we must wait for this Library to include support for your camera, before this can be added to Affinity Photo.

In the meantime, you may find that the app is able to develop these files without full support for the camera model by converting the RAW files to DNG, using a free converter (for example) and then opening these DNGs within Affinity to be developed.

I hope this clears things up :)

Hi Dan C,

Many thanks for your prompt answer!

Now I understand what is the meaning of "... & compatibles"

Thanks too for the DNG suggestion (the fact that Leica call their raw files DNG too maybe another little source of confusion). Your suggestion is vey welcome (of course having the camera included in the FlibRAW library simplify the workflow):

Have a nice day!

Maxbe

• 3 months later...

Opening a Leica Q3 raw file with AP V2.4 nothing has changed: from the lenses side there is still the generic indication of  "Leica Q2 & compatibles", and AP loos like it does not recognize the camera type (so to set automatically the lens type, whatever it is).

Apart from this, I do not understand in what other places the support for the Q3 is shown. Is it silent in some way? Just help me to understand…

Thanks!

• Staff

Hi @Maxbe,

I can confirm that support added in 2.4 was specifically for the development of the Q3 RAW format and our Lens Correction database was not updated alongside this - as they use different libraries.

However, inspecting a Lecia Q3 RAW file, it appears as though the fixed lens matches that used by the Leica Q2, therefore I would expect that the 'Q2 & compatibles' lens correction is automatically detected and applied to the Q3, though I can see that is not the case and the lens is not being detected.

Consequently, I'm logging this as a bug with our development team now - to automatically apply the 'Q2 & compatibles' lens correction for the Q3 RAW file, and also perhaps adjust the name of this lens correction profile to be 'Q2/Q3 & compatibles' for clarity.

In the meantime, you can manually apply the Q2 lens profile in the develop persona to the Q3 RAW file and you should find the image is corrected as expected.

I hope this clears things up & our apologies for any inconveniences caused! 

33 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Hi @Maxbe,

I can confirm that support added in 2.4 was specifically for the development of the Q3 RAW format and our Lens Correction database was not updated alongside this - as they use different libraries.

However, inspecting a Lecia Q3 RAW file, it appears as though the fixed lens matches that used by the Leica Q2, therefore I would expect that the 'Q2 & compatibles' lens correction is automatically detected and applied to the Q3, though I can see that is not the case and the lens is not being detected.

Consequently, I'm logging this as a bug with our development team now - to automatically apply the 'Q2 & compatibles' lens correction for the Q3 RAW file, and also perhaps adjust the name of this lens correction profile to be 'Q2/Q3 & compatibles' for clarity.

In the meantime, you can manually apply the Q2 lens profile in the develop persona to the Q3 RAW file and you should find the image is corrected as expected.

I hope this clears things up & our apologies for any inconveniences caused! 

Hello @Dan C,

Many tyhanks for your fast and exhaustive answer!

No real inconveniences, on the contrary: I'm happy to help AP in fixing a bug! 🙂

Regards,

Maxbe