You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Package fails to save in Affinity Publisher 2.2

I have a 430 page book 8 1/2 x 11 inches in size with 486 linked photos and some text. File size is 154 megabytes. Previously I've been able to complete saving it as a Package with fonts, images and afpublisher file with no problem. Today after making 2 or 3 spelling corrections when I try to save the file as a package after several minutes I get this error message: "Failed to save Package. There was a failure to create the Package. It may be incomplete." There is no other explaination. Any suggestions are appreciated. 

I'm using Windows 11 with all updates installed. 15.8 Gigabytes of ram. 

Also, I have a request from developers to provide users with a timer, a bar, or something that indicates the progress of creating the package.

Thank you. 

Stokerg,

The images I sent you are the ones that were collected by the Package process. I said in my original message to you that there were 486 images which was the number identified in the Resouces Manager. However, some images are imbeded in others. There may be better ways of doing what I did but, for example, when I placed a pdf of a newspaper clipping on a page in this book that needed some cleanup I placed it twice, and clipped parts of them and then assembled them on that page. Resource manager has images listed for these pdfs as subfolders. You can an example of this on page 368 (real page as shown in the left margin of the desktop). The Package collected only 481 but I haven't checked what may be missing.

Of note, the Package was created successfully by me prior to this. It gave me no notification of error or failure until a couple of days ago. All those images in subfolders didn't bother the function before. 

As I said, there may very well be better ways of approaching what I was doing but that is what I came up with at the time and am happy with the results. Just having a problem with saving the package for my archives. 

Thanks again for your patience.  

Hi Stokerg,

I find none of the images listed in the Resource Manager as showing as missing in the list. Preflight doesn't find any missing either (if it does that). All are linked. Several in the Resource Manager list are placed multiple times and show in an expanded view that way (I have attached a screen shot). But those too are all are 'found' and linked. 

Can you identify what the file names of the missing images you see are? Do they appear in your Resource Manager? 

Thanks,

Bob

Resource Manager Screen Shot.jpg

Stokerg,

I attached the photos identified as missing from a previous Package I created from the same afpub file a month ago. It is a mystery as to why they were not collected into the new package of images that were contained in the group that I forwarded to you earlier. If that is all that was causing the failure then I'm all set. Thank you. Bob 

Larry Braman, Laura Brown, Virginia and John Nakashian-gigapixel-standard-scale-4_00x.jpg

Virginia Nakashan, Laura Brown and John Nakashian July 1983-gigapixel-standard-scale-4_00x.jpg

Stokerg,

I have two questions related to Packages that I cannot seem to find answers. I hope this is an appropriate place to ask you.

When Affinity Publisher creates a package with fonts and images collected into a single folder, does the program copy the original images from wherever they were originally linked or does it modify them, perhaps as a smaller file? I ask to see if I can use that Package feature as a housekeeping tool to collect the images (which are scattered in many directories on my computer), and begin a new source folder for images in the original afpub file. I hope to begin to correct problems such as those with low dpi's, etc. there in stead of chasing them from different directories. But not if they were modified. 

Second question: The column at the far right in the Resource Manager says in its title at the top of the column the 'Type' of image file. However, please note that the image file, as you can see in the attached screen shot by the 'name' of the file, is not the same. Tiff files in the right column are listed for these jpg files. Or am I missing something?

Thank you. 

BobScreenshot2023-11-05.jpg.33f93a1ac8ce7ffc57cf67a85d314e07.jpg