You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

inpainting tool hadrness grayed out & more

Today I suddenly found that the inpainting tool had its hardness control set at 20% and grayed out. After some investigating, I found that its brush was set to a texturing brush I used in a previous editing session. I chose the basic brush with the inpainting tool selected, and the hardness control became available again. Now, a couple of reflections about that:

1) the inpainting tool seems to remember any setting between sessions, even if affinity photo is quit and restarted. The only setting that is reset to the default for every single image apparently is the choice "current layer / current layer and below". This seems to be inconsistent, also because other tools (i.e.: che clone tool) remember the setting used last time the tool was used. This partial reset approach is confusing.

2) the brush option window that opens clicking "more" does not show the name/category of the brush. It would greatly help to immediately see what brush is active for the active tool, and even more when similar brushes are used time after time.

I hope the two point abowe will be taken into consideration by the developers. Adding other users' experience to this thread could help.

tahnk you for your attention

stefano

take care,

stefano

In V2, in general, Hardness cannot be set via the Context Toolbar for most brushes. It is available for basic brushes, but otherwise in most cases it can only be set by editing a brush, in my experience. That may explain what you saw with it being grayed out.

20 minutes ago, barninga said:

2) the brush option window that opens clicking "more" does not show the name/category of the brush. It would greatly help to immediately see what brush is active for the active tool, and even more when similar brushes are used time after time.

Within the current session, the Brushes panel will show what brush you last used. Outside the current session, Affinity does not know what the brush is.

If you're requesting a change (as you seem to be) rather than asking a question, you need to use the Feedback forum, not the Questions forum, as the planners don't look here in Questions.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

11 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

In V2, in general, Hardness cannot be set via the Context Toolbar for most brushes. It is available for basic brushes, but otherwise in most cases it can only be set by editing a brush, in my experience. That may explain what you saw with it being grayed out.

Within the current session, the Brushes panel will show what brush you last used. Outside the current session, Affinity does not know what the brush is.

If you're requesting a change (as you seem to be) rather than asking a question, you need to use the Feedback forum, not the Questions forum, as the planners don't look here in Questions.

hello walt, thank you for your reply.

i tried to edit the brush at first, but the hardness slider was grayed out in the brush features window.

thanks for suggesting the feedback forum, i'll replicate the post there.

stefano

take care,

stefano

Just now, Return said:

This has taken me by surprise sometimes, that it uses the last brush even though the program has been closed.
I think it should reset on close.

well, from my point of view the relaunch of the program can or cannot reset brush settings, provided that the behaviour is the same for all the tools; in addition I would expect a uniform behaviour for all the settings of the tools, while it looks like for the inpainting brush AF behaves in a way, and for example for the clone tool in a different way.

take care,

stefano

I think it should reset to a default brush and let the user decide whether he/she wants to use another brush.
Like said it caught me by surprise sometimes that if I brush on a Monday with a masking brush on a mask to find on Thursday my inpainting brush still uses the masking brush I used Monday and it doesn't seem to work correctly especially since there's no indicator as it would during current session.

1 hour ago, Return said:

I think it should reset to a default brush and let the user decide whether he/she wants to use another brush.
Like said it caught me by surprise sometimes that if I brush on a Monday with a masking brush on a mask to find on Thursday my inpainting brush still uses the masking brush I used Monday and it doesn't seem to work correctly especially since there's no indicator as it would during current session.

Exactly what I experimented

take care,

stefano