You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Adjustment presets not saving in Photo 2

ASCAPE

With every adjustment (curves, gradient, HSL, ...) the "save preset" function does not work. New presets are not saved. That means they do not appear in the adjustment preset library. Also, presets from Photo V1 are not imported (brushes, etc. are imported instead). They are just missing and new ones can't be saved.

There's also a second thread which is about the curve adjustment presets with a video – in my case it's not working on any adjustment: 

I'm using the latest version of Photo 2 under Mac OS Monterey 12.7 on a M1 Max chip.

Edited by ASCAPE

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Do you have any Presets in the Adjustments panel? If there are none at all, then you probably need to perform a Reset on the application.

To do that:

1. Make sure no Affinity V2 applications are running.
  2. Start Affinity Photo 2, and quickly press the Ctrl key and hold it until you get the Clear User Data dialog.
  3. Unselect everything, and select Reset Adjustments.
  4. Press Clear.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I have just the default presets in there. E.g. on the gradients its: "(Standard)", "Ultraviolet" and "Nuklear". It's just about the custom presets you want to save as a user are not shown. It's exactly like in the video which was posted in the other thread in linked to.

21 minutes ago, ASCAPE said:

After resetting the adjustments with the cntr key trick it works so that I can save presets :)

But: Presets aren't imported from V1.

I don't remember if Adjustment Presets are imported from V1, or not.

If they are, you might be able to import them now that you've done the Reset, assuming you still have V1. Another one of the items in the Clear User Data dialog was one to reset the content migration prompt. You could try doing that, and then see if you get your V1 Adjustment Presets.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• 4 months later...

I have the same issue, I am unable to save presets to my adjustments dialogue box, much as I try to set a preset for black and white adjustments it just does not work, I tried the above mentioned technique of opening Affinity and pressing the Control key and nothing happens, just a blank Affinity screen, I am running the updated version 2.4 ona Windows 11 system, any advice would be appreciated.

29 minutes ago, MehalD said:

opening Affinity and pressing the Control key and nothing happens, just a blank Affinity screen,

You would need to press Ctrl, then start the application, and then release Ctrl once you have the Clear User Data dialog. (And depending on your configuration, you may need to click the application icon on the Task Bar before the the dialog will appear. Don't release Ctrl until you have the dialog.)

-- Walt
PC:

Hello Walt

Okay I have managed to clear all the boxes and then selected Reset Adjustments, then clicked on clear. But nothing has changed to my previous experience.

To illustrate what I am doing is that I open a colour image (jpeg) then I go to the adjustments panel and select the black and white adjustment, this converts the image to black and white and brings up a dialogue box of the six colours, I then make various tweaks to each colour until the image looks as I want it, I then go to save the present, a dialogue box opens asking me to name the preset, so I call it Mono 1, I click save, close my image and then open another colour image, I then click on adjustments and can see that nothing has been added to the black and white adjustment, wheras I have seen instructional videos that clearly shows the named presets beneath black and white, so where am I going wrong? I kook forward to any further advice, thanks.

Can you show us a screenshot of your Adjustments panel, Black & White section, before and after Saving a preset, @MehalD?

-- Walt
PC:

Hi Walt

Attached my screen shots.

Screen shots

[1] image opened in affinity photo.

[2] image showing the black and white adjustment panel opened.

[3] Image showing the black and white adjustment opened.

[4] image showing my tweaks.

[5] image showing my saving the preset.

[6] image showing the non-existent preset.  

Image 01.png

Image 02.png

Image 03.png

Image 04.png

Image 05.png

You haven't shown the Adjustments panel in any of those. Window > Adjustments will show it. That's where the Adjustment Presets live.

-- Walt
PC:

Hi Walt

Found it! I have been following the incorrect assumption that my preset would show in the adjustment box, and now that I have opened the adjustments panel my preset is there, please see the screen shot attached, thanks for all your help and patience, it is very much appreciated and of course your knowledge is valued. Best, Mehal

Screenshot (9).png