You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Mac Photo 2: advice on selecting sky in this photo

This is an image I downloaded from Pixabay. As you can see, I've made a selection of the sky using the Selection Brush Tool, and it's pretty good, except that many of the non-sky elements which border the sky are similar saturation and color. Some of the areas like the guardrail of the curved bridge, upper left relative to the woman, are intricate; crude selection will produce a crude result: I want to replace the original sky with something more blue and dramatic.

Is this the best I can do with this tool, and should I next make my selections and de-selections manually?

Thank you

woman on scooter.png

7 hours ago, VectorCat said:

As you can see, I've made a selection of the sky using the Selection Brush Tool, and it's pretty good, except that many of the non-sky elements which border the sky are similar saturation and color.

Therefor it often helps to make a B&W darker silhouette like copy of the image, so that the sky colors can be better/easier distinguished from the rest of the image. Then performing the sky selection on the B&W copy and taking it over to the color layer. Finer (small) parts of the guardrail of the curved bridge can be addressed then in a second turn.

selection.png.6a04725e854c4673d7545f170d1593a6.png

selection2.png.4020f38dfb3bf12ba620d5198cc23ea2.png

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2