You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher 2 won't export more than 1 page after editing

I've had this issue many times in recent months. Here's my workflow.

1. Copy an existing document and rename it, both in Finder.

2. Edit the contents and save.

3. Export to "PDF Print"

This gets me a 3 page PDF file — exactly what I expect.

4. Close the document.

A short time later, after some proofreading of the PDF...

5. Re-open the document.

6. Make a minor edit and save.

7. Export to "PDF Print"

I now get a 1 page PDF. I cannot make it output all 3 pages.

The document comprises of:

Page 1: Native Publisher content — multiple text frames and tables with text and some small images. All the images are embedded.

Page 2: An embedded page from another Publisher 2 document.

Page 3: Another embedded page from the same Publisher 2 document.

While recreating the steps for this forum post, I discovered how to get it working again.

8. Select the last page.

9. Export "Current page".

10. Export "All pages".

That final export does include all 3 pages. I have changed nothing about the document since step 6 so I know it's not me!

• Staff

Hi @zkarj,

Due to the unusual nature of this issue I have a feeling that this issue may be quite difficult for us to replicate but I could be wrong. A good starting point would be if you could provide us with the document/resources in question you encountered the issue on, i've included a private dropbox link below if you'd prefer to upload there. In addition to this, could you confirm which version of MacOS you're running?

Upload link: https://www.dropbox.com/request/GhujuNDJylg3mUCW5o0v

Thanks

Annoyingly I cannot reproduce the issue currently. I did just install 2.2.1 which may have a bearing.

It should rear its head next time I do a full product cycle which won't be far away. Either 2.2.1 has cured it, or there is some subtlety about the series of actions that result in the issue.

• 2 months later...

This happened again, but while trying to capture the file state, I seem to have stopped the problem again.

To recap:

1. I duplicated an old .afpub file, changed the name, and edited.
  2. I exported as PDF, which included all pages (only 2 present).
  3. I closed the document.
  4. I re-opened the document and made a change.
  5. I re-exported as PDF, only the first page was exported.
  6. On noticing this in the PDF, I returned to Publisher where the document was still open.
  7. The export window showed only one page and re-exporting still only gave one page.
  8. I did a Save-as to another location then immediately exported. The window and resulting PDF had both pages.
  9. I closed Publisher and re-opened the original document.
  10. I exported and the window and output PDF contained both pages.

So it seems it will be impossible to supply a file that is exhibiting this behaviour. It appears it is only happening when a document has been edited twice in the same instance of Publisher. Short of dumping the memory state of the application, I don't see how we can get to the bottom of this, but I do at least have multiple workarounds.

• Staff

Hey @zkarj,

Thanks for following up, i'm not seeing this behaviour when following your steps, provided that my 'Area' setting in the export dialog remains as 'All pages' between exports i'm seeing the full paged document export to PDF every time. In the same app session if I were to change my 'Area' setting to 'Current page' on a different document and then go back to my original file it will remember that I had this setting selected and only export a singular page, but provided that you're checking this setting remains as 'All pages' this is definitely unexpected.

If it's not an issue that can be captured by supplying a file, could you possibly see if you can demonstrate the issue on a screen recording? 

Many thanks