You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

convert to curve make objects dissapear (literally) and no way to undo.

Affinity Designer V2, windows 11/10, this PC spec is beyond minimum requirements.
i worked with lots of text, i made layout for math videos, which i have to immitate math symbol placements and do some equation layout too. i notice that i can paste an object inside a text object (which super cool! i really love this feature in Affinity Designer). but whenever i click on this text+text or text+object and i run 'convert to curve' . the object is gone (most of the time completely, or some resides but nearly 99% is gone).
pics worth more than words, just see my steps.

text plus shape.jpg

text plus text.jpg

Maybe step 1 is causing the trouble.

if you paste something and get parent / child layers, the child gets clipped to the parent.

and convert text to curves  creates multiple objects from one layer, this can break those parent/child relations. 

a group of curves (converted from letters) behaves different vs. a text frame with multiple letters

Can you upload the actual file ?

if possible, remove everything from the file except the layers required to demonstrate the issue.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

• 2 weeks later...

Using your file I was unable to reproduce the issue (based on the list of steps you provided earlier). Everything (the text frame) seems already converted to curve. There is a frame text layer, but no more text inside, only curves.

Any chance you provide a screen recording or screenshots, covering exactly the time between the state before and after the issue?

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Possibily, I got this same issue. 

Details, when Text convert to curves (From menu bar, Button on toolbar or Ctrl + Enter) with Gruop, automatically lost fill (and stroke) color.

And...

• Cannot Undo work for these objects. (Ctrl + z only, I can use from History window.)
  • Randomly,when (Ctrl + Z), I got mysterious actions. (Duplicate in obeject. History step jumped. Despite undo, but keep converted curve.)

Windows 11 22H2

Affinity Designer V2 2.2.1.2075

🙏 Thank you for Affinity team work!! 🙏

Screenshot 2023-10-20 213353.png

ok, I can confirm that when you use "convert to curves" on a group with mixed child layers (frame text, symbol) you get unexpected results, and undo does not fully restore previous state.

yeah, i feel like the functions in AD need some wild tweaking . i mean, in illustrator, i can select all , and convert text to curve ctrl-shift-O , and all text object in this active document will be converted to curves. in or out of a group . no matter how deep it grouped. 

same case also happens when a group contains a path with no fill, just stroke and a text . if we're about to "convert stroke to curve" . AD just can't do it . the function didn't do anything.

note : i used arial font for that sample file, thinking arial is the most common font on earth . looks like the fonts magically converted to curve in your end , i just save . a casual save as afdesign format .. i'm sorry i can't produce a screen capture, not these hectic days