You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

RAW thumbnail size and incorporation/access to metadata from linked (XMP) file

There are several topics relating to thumbnail size, but I believe this is a specific and important point. I posted elsewhere in February, but there has been no response from Affinity. Despite a continuing stream of new releases the one major thing that I want to do seems completely ignored: provide an interface so that NeoFinder can properly display information from linked RAW images. This would then create an effective DAM. I have been waiting for 3 years for something to arrive and am fast running out of patience. The only integrated solution open to me at the moment is the NeoFinder / Apple Photos combination. I have written a script so that this works seamlessly, but don't wish to use it because of the excessive storage generated.

I attach below my previous post. It seems that NeoFinder is willing and able to complete the circle if only Affinity would provide the interface. What is stopping you?

Earlier post below

I know that DAM has been discussed forever, but I think that AF2 is close to being able to provide a solution alongside NeoFinder.

I can now process RAW images and do almost all my work non-destructively, saving the file as a linked RAW file. This creates 2 files: an afphoto file and an XMP sidecar file. Whereas I can re-open the afphoto file and continue working from where I left off, the metadata is not copied from the original RAW file and the thumbnail is too small, even though it does reflect the current view.

I asked NeoFinder about this and they replied as follows:

NeoFinder uses the QuickLook plugins supplied by Affinity to grab the thumbnails of these formats. It seems they only provide a small version of this.

While NeoFinder is able to add its own metadata, using the industry standard Adobe XMP sidecar mechanism, the handling of that metadata inside of the Affinity products is still inconsequential, and they don't offer an API to access their own embedded metadata yet.

It seems that if AF2 could take this one step forward we'd have a realistic replacement for Lightroom. What are the chances?

2 hours ago, stuartbarry said:

I posted elsewhere in February, but there has been no response from Affinity.

Generally, Serif does not comment on topics in the Feedback & Suggestions part of the forum, so if you posted there it is not surprising they haven't said anything. This section of the forum is for the users to express their wishes, and for the planners to read those wishes and take them into account for future development, as appropriate.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Well it's just a pity after many people asking for this functionality for several years there is no obvious move in this direction. It's up to Serif to keep quiet or to speak about it. If they choose to keep quiet then I'll have to assume that nothing is forthcoming and look elsewhere for the solution.