You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Help to bottom text in Apub, please

Hello, 

I hoping for assistance again with baseline grids/bottoming text in Apub. This topic is one topic I struggling with. Grids i think in general are providing to me challenge, but I'm concern most about bottoming text in Apub so text is aligned good and has nice, clean appearance for reader. Some points I have questions for:

1/ how to determine number for baseline grid. I'm read before that font point is the baseline grid number you use, but this not always true I know. What I'm not know is when baseline grid number is to be different and why is to be different. This one example of questions I have. 

2/ leading is concerned with the baseline grid. What informs me to know what to set the leading to?

Thanking you for patience to help me in this. 

Have a look at this:

The gist of it is that the number of lines in a text frame should determine the size of the baselinegrid. This baselinegrid has to be a reasonable size, think of it as being the element that spaces the text if you align to it. Go ahead and change the size of the baselinegrid and see how that affects the text inside. A bit of experimenting gives you a better understanding ;)

You can just count the number of lines that you create and snap the text frame to the baselinegrid to bottom out the text. When you think you understand the document baselinegrid, start experimenting with the text frame specific baselinegrid. It's basically the same, except that it overrides the text frame settings, like character styles override paragraph styles (both are local changes).

2. Usually, you don't need to touch the leading, as long as you see that the text size itself is small enough to fit into each and every line of the baselinegrid.

@Intuos5 I have much gratitude to you for explanation and videos. Your explanation is very good. I play around now and I find that I am understanding better the baseline grid using your example. Also too, thank you for information about leading. I was sometimes changing this trying to improve visual look of text. Now I will leave leading alone.