You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo v2.2.0 crash on new/open file with hardware acceleration enabled

mikeseese

Recently, I'm unable to open an existing afphoto file, open an image, or create a new document in Photo 2.2.0 in Windows. I've tried going back to 2.1.1, and the issue seems to persist? I've rebooted and uninstalled/reinstalled the app (even clearing the associated Photo roaming data). Designer works just fine.

The issue is reproducible 100% with Hardware Acceleration enabled. Disabling it fixes the issue. I haven't changed any new hardware; the only real new thing is perhaps a Windows update (I'm not sure the last time Photo was working). I have an NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super with Game Ready Driver 550.09.

Reproduction steps:

1. Ensure hardware acceleration is enabled
  2. File > New
  3. Press Create with any template/size

I've attached a crash report.

1a7fb98e-7d9e-43df-acf0-1ef63c21d240.dmp

The default is set to enabled, so if you've had problems and disabled it, after updating / upgrading you would need to disable it.

Have you recently udated your GPU drivers? Nvidia just released an update  537.42 within the last week (9/21/2021). Have you thought about running the Studio Drivers? They do have the Studio drivers for your GPU. I run the RTX 3070 and use the Studio version, and (knock on wood) have not had any issues.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

To be honest with you, until I made the point I was under the impression I had the Studio Driver haha. I'm not sure if/when I manually switched it back to the Game Ready driver. Regardless, now that I have switched to 537.42, enabling hardware acceleration prompts that I have an "Unsupported Graphics Card". I'm fairly certain I had already restarted my PC after the driver switch, but I'll try again after I have a chance to do that again.