You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

In width or height fields, the first digit only is typed when modifying number

Oufti

Since Publisher v.2.0 till 2.2.0, I noticed (but was "lazy" to report here) that you could not always replace or modify a number in these fields as expected:
If you modify only the number value (not the letters used for units) in width/height fields, only the first key pressed (or delete key) is taken in account. 

In Document settings > Width or Height fields

1. Double-click on the number, to select only the number, not the unit: [210 mm]
    or insert the cursor into or just after the number: [2|10 mm or 210| mm — not 210 |mm nor 210 mm]
  2. Type a new value (2 or 3 digits long, say 420), to replace or complete it
  3. The Mac beeps after typing the first digit, and only the first digit is entered: [4]. The rest [20] is lost
  4. Need to re-click in the field to type the rest again. 
  5. (The same happens if you insert the cursor in the number instead of selecting the number.)

Note: It doesn't happen if, at step 1., I do a single- or a triple-click in the field, so that everything is selected.
But old habits are difficult to change; in other apps, I'm used to select only values to edit by double-clicking on it, or clicking inside it, and it should certainly be possible to do the same in Affinty's. 

Affinity Suite 2.4 – Monterey 12.7.4 – MacBookPro 14" 2021 M1 Pro 16Go/1To

I apologise for any approximations in my English. It is not my mother tongue.

This is probably related to this bug report:

I added myself here the tag number attributed to that topic. I wonder if it is good practice?

6 minutes ago, Oufti said:

I added myself here the tag number attributed to that topic. I wonder if it is good practice?

I would say that it is not good practice.

As you said, "this is probably related. Since you aren't sure, using that tag feels unwise.

Also, when Serif adds the tag they do some additional work to help with tracking, and enabling the Serif Info Bot to follow up when the bug has been fixed. If you manually add the tag there's a false impression that all that work has been done, which may confuse Serif staff or other users.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thank you @walt.farrell for your experimented advice. 

I preferred to ask on this occasion, quite benign. I was wondering if the presence of a tag could help for search and tracking, but it can be better not to use them ourselves, specially if there are other tasks performed the same time. 

Thanks again. I try to learn how things are done here, to do better time after time. 

12 hours ago, Oufti said:

I was wondering if the presence of a tag could help for search and tracking,

When Serif reads the topic, they would see your comment that it seemed related to that other topic, and would see its bug tag. You could mention the bug tag specifically in your post, e.g., "this is probably related to bug af-416 as described in <this other topic>" or you could even link to the bug tag itself (since the bug-tags on the topics are links) in your post. 

That's fine. It's just actually adding the tag to the topic that I would discourage.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1