You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Fixing an undone task in Preflight can crash

1. Open a long document with lots of headings and a TOC
  2. Change a heading - Preflight will show the TOC as outdated and offer a Fix button because it renamed the anchor
  3. Undo the heading change - if you wait Preflight will go back to green but if you click Fix before Preflight catches up to the Undo operation, Publisher will crash

Affinity Publisher 2 Beta-2023-09-06-162432.ips

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

I was wrong about this one's steps. It does crash every time I click the Fix button but it doesn't have anything to do with Undo.

Preflight's Fix button updates all TOCs so I tested separately updating each of the 4 TOCs in this document and the problem was with a chapter-specific TOC for the heading I changed. Updating the main TOC which contains the same heading worked fine so I don't know why updating the one TOC would choke on it.

Although this crash was in the beta, I reported it here in v2 bugs instead of the beta forum because I didn't think it had anything to do with 2.2 and I couldn't open the document in 2.1 to confirm. But it's possible this might be related to a beta bug I reported earlier today which I did confirm was beta only. I'm terrible at reading crash reports but they look similar to my untrained eyes.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

• Staff

Hey Mike, I moved this to beta since it was reproduced in the beta and has a crash report, even we are unsure if it's a regression or not.

I'm struggling to reproduce from the initial recipe, but the crash report from the other bug you reported and the crash report you provided are crashing in the same area so it's likely it's the same cause, which is logged.

If you want to provide a file that crashes when Fix is pressed I can double check. From when I looked into your other report it wasn't related to having multiple table of contents, it was simply having a table of contents with headings that used levels (your initial report is easily reproduced by inserting a new ToC using the default Heading 1 and Heading 2 that's applied to some text and unchecking include as PDF Bookmarks)

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

22 minutes ago, Jon P said:

Hey Mike, I moved this to beta since it was reproduced in the beta and has a crash report, even we are unsure if it's a regression or not.

I'm struggling to reproduce from the initial recipe, but the crash report from the other bug you reported and the crash report you provided are crashing in the same area so it's likely it's the same cause, which is logged.

If you want to provide a file that crashes when Fix is pressed I can double check. From when I looked into your other report it wasn't related to having multiple table of contents, it was simply having a table of contents with headings that used levels (your initial report is easily reproduced by inserting a new ToC using the default Heading 1 and Heading 2 that's applied to some text and unchecking include as PDF Bookmarks)

Thanks moving it Jon, it probably is beta specific. I'll get you the document.