You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer V2 question for technical-oriented and/or realistic-style illustrators . . .

As a graphic designer I have never tried detailed illustrations. I'm more of a text/photo/artwork assembler, working daily in print, that creates simple things when I can. I have attached a couple of images of styles I am interested in learning. The yellow car style seems pretty straight forward. The corvette style seems extremely intimidating . . . Can anyone recommend a good book or website as to how these are created. There are some time-rushed movies on YouTube with no explanation. Some artists seems to create filled objects and build layer upon layer. I saw another artist that creates their line work and use a layer mask to color it in. I'm curious as to why he does it that way. Any links or recommendation would be highly appreciated . . .

93a476_1f802a0a84f44d10ae6644e3e934733a~mv2.jpg

93a476_dc55f75f229a4392a1344e859aa5b336~mv2.webp

1 hour ago, kanihoncho said:

I saw another artist that creates their line work and use a layer mask to color it in. I'm curious as to why he does it that way. Any links or (…)

"… using the Pen Tool, I create a closed curve outlining a single part. I fill that curve with a colour that is the base colour of the object. The real breakthrough for me was discovering that if I then took a brush and started painting on the object, that Affinity Photo would create a pixel layer that was masked to the closed curve. Using this technique, I could add shading and highlights (each on their own layer), and I didn’t have to paint within the shape—Affinity Photo did that for me."

https://affinityspotlight.com/articles/tag/car-illustration/

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1