You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Unwanted line break after quote charachter

I layout long books in Affinity Publisher, and very often I get an unwanted, immediate line break after a quote character ” (see picture). The workaround is to manually highlight the character and click "No break" in the Character/Positioning and Transform panel. 

Come to think of it - i also get the same behaviour in Apple Messages, so is this perhaps a MacOS thing? For my life I can't find a setting anywhere in the system, or i Affinity Publisher which would remedy this problem.

Screenshot 2023-07-19 at 22.47.13.png

Sorry, I don't know how to fix this issue. It seems to be related to any library or dictionary for this language (Finnish ??) that apparently uses identical typographic quote mark glyphs for start and end – different to most languages. If indeed the language / the identical quote marks are the reason I assume you will find related discussions in this language in the internet, right?

Strange, I can reproduce this only for an end quote mark (yellow) but not for the start as in your example, although there would be reasons for better alignment per line (pink):

suomitextquotemarks.thumb.jpg.7e878abf06705c31f886c1dd7d12b439.jpg

A workaround, alternative to your manual activation of the "No break" checkbox: Add a narrow-nonbreaking-space character instead, with an assigned keyboard-shortcut it may be easier to get set.

narrow-non-breaking-space.jpg.d66fc5190aa66df99e72be2416340dba.jpg

Or how about generally adding a narrow-nonbreaking-space character via the Find & Replace panel before/after the quote marks? If you create an extra Character style for those you can also set a negative tracking value to reduce the additional space visually. Find & Replace enables you to replace text and style.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Hmmm.  I can reconstruct your line breaking on my UK English machine if I set your text to "Suomi" under Languages in the Character panel and type the quotes.  If I delete the quotes and set the Language to English UK and then retype the quotes, I get the expected "66" and "99" style of quotes and they do not exhibit this line breaking behaviour.

If I go back to Suomi formatted text and change the Publisher preference Settings > AutoCorrect > "Change straight quotes to typographic quotes" to OFF - and then retype the quote marks, they come out straight (as you would expect) but there's no line break, even though we're still using Suomi for the language.  So something about having "99" quotes at the start, as opposed to the selected language?

Have you tried experimenting with the Mac's double quotes settings?  I'm not sure if that will fix it, but it might be worth a bit of experimenting.  Under Ventura, go to System Settings > Keyboard > Input Sources > [Edit].  (The same settings are there in older versions, but the path in to them might be slightly different.)

A number of different styles are available there and you might find an acceptable solution?

2023-07-20_00-03-50.png.2a4a3bbdda90bfc6a941858f169c2a85.png

I know this isn't a solution, but maybe there's something that will give you inspiration?

—— Gary ——

Photo/Designer/Publisher: Affinity Store, v2.4.n release

Mac mini (M1, 2020), 16GB/2TB, macOS Ventura 13.4.1(c) • MacBook Pro (Intel), macOS Ventura • Windows 10 via VMware Fusion • iOS: current release

Thanks! I suspected the system setting, as I get the same behavior on iOS. I now tried a few different settings in the Smart Quotes section but it didn’t affect the current document in Publisher. I’ll try later with a new document. Interestingly I wasn’t able to find anything on the net about this.
There could also be some mixup somewhere as I also always interface with my gear in English although most of my documents and files are in Swedish or Finnish and I correspondingly use the Swedish keyboard layout all the time. It should work correctly, but I have a faint memory of this problem cropping up after a system update some time ago. 

18 hours ago, Rabari said:

but it didn’t affect the current document in Publisher.

I think in an existing text you need to delete and retype the quote marks to get an affect from a changed setting. As quote marks do not change in a text if you change its language to one that uses different quote glyphs.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1