You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Drawing Illustration in Affinity Suite

Hello Guys!

I already did a number of Projecs in Affinity Publisher, using Designer and Photo as Tools but also have done some Logos and stuff in designer itfself. But what I always wanted to do is Illustrations using my XP-Pen Tablet that I mainly use as a second Deskop right now, which is kinda embarassing.

I also bought a number of brushes (like Frankentoons Neptune, Christis Comix toolbox etc). So I got the Tools, but everytime I want to draw something, I dont even try  long because I dont really get how to start and how to use the Brushes right. Digital Drawing is very frustating for me, which why i dont try it very often. But I want to!

My Questions are:

- What is the easiest Starting-Workflow

- Is there Any drawing tutorial/Udemy-Course specificly for affinity products, you would recommend?

- which Program do I use???? Photo or Designer?

- Any suggestions for my Tool-Layouts and settings?

I draw mainly traditionaly on Paper with graphite, which is most of the time really satisfying because I can simply start without wondering "where" to start.

Thank you for Helping me!

Damijan

• Staff

Hi @DamijanI,

6 hours ago, DamijanI said:

What is the easiest Starting-Workflow

Just try and replicate what you'd do with a Pencil and paper on your tablet.  I know that sounds like I'm stating the obvious but you are really replacing the normal pencil and paper for a digital version of it.  Once you get the basic drawing side of things down with the tablet, then you can look at getting more advanced with the different brush settings and Pressure control.

Is there Any drawing tutorial/Udemy-Course specificly for affinity products, you would recommend?

I'm not aware of one just for drawing.  I'd highly suggest checking out some of the free videos on YouTube, here's a link to some search results that cover drawing in Affinity Designer.  But if another Forum member knows of one just for Drawing, i'm sure they post it here shortly :) 

which Program do I use???? Photo or Designer?

I'd start in Designer, as you have access to the Vector and Pixel Persona.

Thanks @stokerg!

That is something else I wanted to ask. I know the difference between pixel and vector personas but "when" should I actually use the pixel persona and when vector?

Both have different tools (besides the obvious pixel and vectoring differences) and brushes.