You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

APu 2.1.1. for Mac: inserting narrow non-breaking space using keyboard shortcut enters a normal non-breaking space

Hi everyone, 

I have seen this bug in the last version 2.1.1. and 2.1.0 probably too. It's quite simple: when I try to insert a narrow non-breaking space using keyboard shortcut, it results in a normal non-breaking space being inserted. When I use the menu entry, everything works as supposed, even though I use the same keyboard shortcut, that is written right next to the menu entry. 

The keyboard shortcut for a standard non-breaking space works as intended. I have seen this only on Mac, the Windows version seems to be normal. 

Is there something I can do to fix it, or do you?

Thanks, have a nice weekend? 

I don't have a keyboard shortcut assigned to narrow NBSP and it's not in the default set of shortcuts but I tried it out and had mixed success.

If I set it to Shift+Ctrl+Space it worked fine. If I set it to Shift+Opt+Space or Ctrl+Opt+Space I got NBSP as you did. I assume you're using one of those.

This isn't specific to inserting a narrow NBSP and it's not new in v2. You can't assign Shift+Opt+Space or Ctrl+Opt+Space to any menu command in Affinity. I believe macOS reserves these combinations and I know that Ctrl+Opt+Space is used by macOS for changing input source.

Even if this used to work for you it might be best just to try a different shortcut. Good luck.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

Shift-Option-Space is system designed for typing an unbreakable space (U+00A0, the same as Option-Space). You can see it in the "Keyboard viewer" and "Show emojis & symbols". 

Affinity Suite 2.4 – Monterey 12.7.4 – MacBookPro 14" 2021 M1 Pro 16Go/1To

I apologise for any approximations in my English. It is not my mother tongue.

• 1 month later...
On 7/1/2023 at 11:15 PM, Fantomas.CZ said:

So we can consider this closed.

Not really.

There is still sort of a bug:
There is no warning if I enter Alt-Shift-Space, or any single letter, as shortcut.

Yet, when using (alt)-(shift)-space, it's as if I input a regular letter, isn't it? And if I actually enter a letter as shortcut, let's say K, there is no warning. 

If I choose as shortcut an existing shortcut (already used elsewhere), I have a yellow triangle icon warning — but not when I choose as shortcut a single letter or this alt-shift-space combination ! Even if obviously when typing this letter later, nothing more will happen than inserting the letter in the text… 

Affinity Suite 2.4 – Monterey 12.7.4 – MacBookPro 14" 2021 M1 Pro 16Go/1To

I apologise for any approximations in my English. It is not my mother tongue.